Another Computer Question for the Computer Illiterate - ME!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Charmed, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Having purchased my son a computer and installed a wireless Internet Connection I forgot to put on some form of security when the free 3 months (?) expired! :eek: Over the last 2 months he has been having problems with 'pop-ups' which are now so bad it crashes the internet as soon as he tries to connect.

I want to install some security, however, don't I need access to the internet via his computer to do this? If yes, how can I get rid of all the pop-ups?

Any ideas, I'm getting fed up of him using my computer all the time now he can't access the internet via his! :mad:
  2. chiephonium

chiephonium Member

best of luck getting rid of the spyware / adware ----- its a righ bu99er!

if you find a way to do it easily let me know!!!
  3. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

How about downloading the necessary stuff on yours and transferring it to his using a USB key. By the way if they're both on the same wireless network then I'd be concerned about yours too. Download the AVG anti spyware tool and get some decent anti-virus software on there too. Also, disinfect the USB key once it's been used in your sons computer- do NOT attach it to any other unless it is clean.
  4. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

AVG anti-spyware can be got here. It used to be called ewido.
  5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

6. Bungle

Bungle Member

AVG do a good free anti-virus its at I use spybot for spyware removal.
  7. MarkGillatt

MarkGillatt Member

You could also try Spybot which is free (search in google) and also Stinger as a standalone virus killer, again free. First link off google search for stinger
  8. timbloke

timbloke Member

Try for a useful article on removing spyware. He suggests using three separate bits of software, I've followed his instructions, and haven't had too many problems up to now. Also google toolbar has a good ad blocker on it for a quick fix. But def try to get it sorted before it gets worse.

9. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Thanks for all the tips. However, is it me or are you all speaking a foreign language! :eek: USB key? and this is? Told you I was computer illiterate. I definitely can't download from my son's own computer, as soon as you connect to the internet it freezes with 100s of pop-ups! He run a virus check and it came back with about 1400 virus'! It's only 6 months old, and has only been without protection for 2 months!

Let this be a lesson to all. Don't be lazy, don't keep putting it off, get PROTECTION!

Having looked through the suggestions, I think the best thing will be to either get someone in to solve the problem, or take to a computer shop!

Johnmartin, thanks for the concern, but I do believe my own computer is okay. I have Norton Internet Security installed, and don't seem to have any problems. (Touch Wood!)
  10. TheMusicMan

It isn't that difficult honestly.

1 - get to PC World or another PC shop and get yourself one of these;

2 - Stick it it YOUR PC's USB slot (the non-infected one). This will then appear in your My Computer section simply as another drive on your PC. You should see it when you plug it in and then open My Comtuter. Simply use this to store progs/apps/docs etc.

3 - Donwload whicever antivirus and antispam apps you decided to use after reading this thread

4 - Store them on the USB Card

5 - Make sure your sons PC is not connected to the net

6 - Remove USB device from your PC and insert in sons PC

7 - Open My Computer on sons PC and you should see the USB device. Double click on it and you will see all the apps you saved to it. Copy them to the Desktop (or wherever) and double click on them as you would any other app. They will then do their work...

11. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

You see! Now that's English! Thanks, if it works then you will have saved me a lot of money. I'll buy you a pint when I next see you. ;)
  12. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

The problem with this approach is that many of these applications use ubdatable definition and / or detection files.

You need to make sure that you can also manually download such files, so you can update on the infected machine without it being net connected (or at the very least get it to a state where it can be connected). If there's a DoS thing going on - and you don't know what it is - you can run into problems.
  13. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

Hi Susan,

Is your Son's machine using Internet Explorer to access the internet?
  14. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

I am reliably informed the answer is Yes!
  15. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

OK, take a deep breath!

1st - un-plug the connection to the telephone / modem / broadband. So the machine cannot connect.
    2nd - start internet explorer. Don't worry about the website unavailable message that appears.
    3rd - Click on 'tools', 'internet options'
    4th - select 'privacy' from the tabs.
    5th - at the bottom of the box you should see - 'prevent pop ups' tick the box. Above this there is a slider - move this to the top and click 'apply' at the bottom.

Once you've done this reconnect to the telephone / modem / broadband this will stop the pop ups and allow you to download the anti virus software.

If this is no good PM me.
  16. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Excellent! Will try and let you know how I get on.

17. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Ahh, I didn't realise but Tim has already done this, and the little b*****s are still getting through. I will go and purchase some anti-virus software on Monday, and try installing it then.

Fingers crossed! :tup
  18. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

Best way I think.

After you've cleaned it all up it might be worth downloading 'Firefox' and using that as the web browser. the virus writers don't target Firefox anywhere near as much as they target Internet Explorer.

Good luck.
  19. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Spybot is very good, it can be downloaded (legally) for free and I would highly recommend it
  20. TheMusicMan

All these links are in a thread in the tMP Library...