Andrew Lloyd-Webber - Genius or Guff

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by WoodenFlugel, May 23, 2004.

Andrew Lloyd-Webber - Genius or Guff

1. Best thing since sliced Sunblest

2. Yeah he's Ok

3. Tolerable

4. Terrible

0 vote(s)
  5. Lloyd-Webber? I'd sooner listen to Lloyd Grossman!

1. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

So then, we play loads of his music, he's made more money than probably everyone on tMp put together, but do we like what he's done?

Personally I perfer the older stuff (Jesus Christ Superstar, Evita) than the later ones, but I think he's generally OK.

So then fellow tMp'ers discuss......
  2. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

yer i like his stuff, but im a big musical fan anyway.
  3. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

Sorry but I just can't get into his music at all. It just sounds like cheesy pop especially his later stuff. Maybe its just me, I get the feeling I could be in the minority on this one!
  4. Fishsta

Fishsta Active Member

There's just one of his songs I REALLY REALLY like, the rest of it I think is merely very good.

That song would be "All I Ask Of You".
  5. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

For generally very 'normal' and not particularly striking music, he has made far too much money. But I prefer him over Birtwhistle any day! :shock:
  6. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Can't stand it. Pile of trash.
  7. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

Sir Andrew is a legend!! I love nearly all his music!!! OK, so Whistle Down the Wind was a flop, and he let that crappy boy band steal No Matter What....everyone makes mistakes!!!

One of my fave ALW pieces is from another flop called "Jeeves". The song "Half A Moment" is gorgeous, and I do say to everyone if you get the chance, listen to it.
  8. cornetcheese

cornetcheese Member

Give me Birtwhistle any day! I don't quite get the comparison - Birtwhistle is one of the best respected british composers of the 20th Century while Lloyd Webber has made loads of money churning out formulated cheesy clones of the same song.....

Edit: Expletive removed! (RT)
  9. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Mmmm, I like some of it.

Don't forget that Tim Rice has a lot of input in Mr Lloyd-Webbers stuff as well... so I wouldn't give Lloyd-Webber all the flattery and credit

10. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

IHMO, he rips other people's stuff for the majority of his pieces.
    He has done very well for himself out of it, but I can't stand his stuff :evil: :evil:
  11. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I'm sure it all probably works well in the musicals, but when it's taken out of context to be played by a brass band, it is utter pants!
  12. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

That can be said about a lot of pieces :shock: :lol:

13. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Guff. Some of it's ok but I dread teaching musicals at school!
  14. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

Used to fight with my music lecturer about this, so well versed in the success and failings of ALW.
    I maintain, however, that he is one of the better modern writers.
    Gethsemane from JCSuperstar is incredible. Emotive, evocative and passionately written.
    Phantom is alright, but few too many power chords.
    Latter work shoddy and unimaginative, though.
  15. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

I used to absolutely LOVE his music!!!

But I grew out of that phase!

I discovered that there were other composers out there who are just as good, some maybe even better! :eek: :D :eek:

He's still great though...!!! :D
  16. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

I have never liked the band arrangement of " Love Changes Everything " , but some arrangements work " Chris Mowat arr All I ask of you , just one look ".
    I suppose they are better in the " Original "...
    would like to see more arrangements with a vocal part ( keep in fairly interesting and different from just a cornet , or trombone soloist )

The Guy must be a genius to make pop art like these shows...and all the money Tim Rice , Ben Elton , Richard Stilgoe have made inconjunction with him....
  17. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

Surely Lloyd-Webber is a genius of guff?
  18. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I must confess that I am not a great fan of Andrew Lloyd Webber as I do not find him very original, although he is undoubtedly quite good at parody and pastiche. I tend to prefer some of his earlier work, and like bits of the requiem, but feel that most of his solo work needs a lot of help from the arranger if it going to be effective.
  19. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

I think one or two tunes can be termed Genuis and his whole re-working of Phantom was supper (which there making into a film by the way, release December). The rest ranges from average to good. i like most of the brass band stuff! There decent tunes and that goes a long way!
  20. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I'm afraid my opinions of ALW's 'muzak' would result in a national asterisk shortage...... ;-) Still, one thing cannot be argued against, he's made a helluva lot out of it, so no matter what we think, who's laughing all the way to the bank? :?