And the award for todays Numpty is...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by BbBill, Feb 9, 2007.

1. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

ME!!! :oops:

What an idiot I am, took the van into town today for some messages and bits and pieces, and then went to fill up with fuel, altho....

Pulled up to the usual diesel pump I use for the van and filled the tank right to the neck costing £60, then realised they had switched that pump to UNLEADED!!! :mad:

Theyve finally got round to shifting the pumps around on the forecourt, putting Diesel in the old 4 star pumps, so theres a choice at each pillar now instead of having just diesel at one of the pillars and petrol at the other 3 pillars. Originally the diesel pillar had 4 pumps there and created abit of a bottle-neck, now theyve replaced 2 of them with unlead, one of which I used!! At least I didnt start the van and do any damage, got a tow across the road to the tractor garage I used to work at, drained all the petrol out and put fresh diesel in! At least I could fix this all myself, as Im supposed to be a time-served mechanic as well....!!!! :rolleyes:

Theres been a couple that did that and also some near-misses in the last few days, so dont feel so bad now! Ive got £60 of petrol sitting in cans at home now, hopefully it should work ok in the ATV, chainsaw, strimmer etc, as theres not much diesel in the mix, otherwise I'll just have to build a nice bonfire to keep me warm in this cold weather!

Stupid git!!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Numpty
    Diesel
    theres
    van
    diesel pillar
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

tsk! tsk! :rolleyes:

4. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

My dad did that a couple of months ago. Cost him a couple of hundred quid to get it sorted out (tow to garage and tank drain etc)! His only excuse was he'd not long bought a diesel car after having a petrol for years! :rolleyes:

I also seem to remember my uncle telling me that he once put diesel in his motorbike! :eek: He had no excuse; his car was petrol too so he never ever needed to buy diesel!

5. julestools

julestools Active Member

My dear wife did the same thing with our Rover a couple of years ago. She managed a couple of hundred yards before the car stopped but there was no real damage. I pumped the tank clean and changed the filter and all was well again. The air was a little blue though. :oops:

Had £36 worth of contaminated petrol for the lawn mower and chainsaw. It lasted for ages.

xx Jules

6. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I know of three people who have done this at work too so you are not too much of a numpty. You would think they would standardise pump nozzles and tank filler necks so that you could only put diesel nozzels into diesel tanks. It wouldn't be so hard would it - something like one of those toddlers games where you can only put the round peg in the round hole and the square peg in the square hole.

7. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

My friend put petrol into his diesel Golf once, ended up costing him a fortune

8. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

My ex-mother in law once put creosote in the engine instead of oil, citing very similar looking cans in the garage as the reason for that little mistake.

Ouch!

9. Pops2501

Pops2501 Active Member

:oops: Have to admit my dear husband is correct - the thing was I never realised until the car wouldn't start outside a shop.

The worst thing was being towed by an irate husband (when you have never been towed before) with no power steering etc etc and you think you are going to hit every vehicle you meet going round corners. :eek:

Still don't know why I did it after having diesel cars for years. :-?

Must have been old age starting to catch up on me :eek:

10. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

My friend has done this, think it is quite easy to do if you take account of the number of people who have done it......or am I being too generous here.....

11. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

My mum once locked the keys in the boot of the car (one of those where you put the key in and turn the key), that was interesting

we stood there for 4 hours waiting for my dad to come with the spare keys

Daddy wasn't impressed, oh no he wasn't

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Numpty
    Diesel
    theres
    van
    diesel pillar
  13. Di

Di Active Member

Ooh OK, I have to admit I've done it too. :( Back in the days long ago when I had my little Micra. I think what caught me out was I was at Asda and I think all the nozzles were green, irrespective of the type of fuel, it was just the hoze colour that was different. I was most likely in the usual rush, pull up, fill up, pay and was just about to leave when I had an uneasy feeling. I don't know why, I just did. So I looked at the receipt and sure enough it said I'd just stuck £15 of diesel in the car instead of unleaded. :( Had to be towed to the garage and have it drained. :rolleyes:

Oooh dear oh dear. Confession time again.

I've got central locking on my Amica and I tend to leap out, hit the "lock" button on the door and shut it. I've lost count of how many times I've done that with the keys inside. It tends to be if I've parked up and been distracted by doing something else before getting out, like making a call perhaps. I've had to be rescued a couple of times by my Mum and Dad driving to my house, letting themselves in and getting my spare car key and driving back out to me. I've also had Steve drive across the county to rescue me.

The worst, most crucial time though was when I was going to drive my Mum and Dad to the airport. I pulled on to their drive, behind my Dads car and, because I was just nipping in to pick them up, then out again, didn't bother to pick the keys up, but out of habit I suppose, still hit the lock and pushed the door. It's just when the door's half way shut that realisation dawns, but short of sticking your hand in and getting your fingers trapped.... not a lot you can do .... except jump up and down and swear in frustration (yes I did!)

Thankfully, I'd arrived early and in plenty of time, so my Dad got in his car and with lots and lots of wiggling, managed to get off the drive and take me home to get the spare. :redface: I think they still love me though. ;)

14. Hells Bones

What are parents for? you should give them your spare key, anyway to get another cut perhaps?

15. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

The scary thing is, Di is a parent!!! ;)

16. Hells Bones

Ever locked your kids in then, Di? would be a nice respite eh? :biggrin:

17. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

Expect an angry PM from Vickitorious now!!! :tongue:

18. Hells Bones

Family business eh?

19. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

Very much so! If I could remember the other usernames... :tongue:
    On the other hand, there's 3 of my family on here too. So yeah... tMP is very family friendly!

20. Hells Bones

It is just me from my family here (And my Band), unless I marry a Bando

which is unlikely, as my interests are invested in a jockey at the moment :biggrin:

Hopefully (if I manage to entice her to be my girliefriend) she might turn out better than the others

21. Di

Di Active Member

Ahem ... :redface:

Well, now that you mention it...

I've managed to leave the keys in the car with baby Adam strapped in the baby seat in back. That's so long ago now that I can't quite remember how I got out of that one. It was only for a few minutes though so presumably a neighbour or my sister had a spare key to the house and I got the spare car key. :redface: Either that, or we managed somehow to break into it. ;)

22. Hells Bones

Isn't there a law against breaking into your own car?

Like one of those stupid state laws like,
    "You cannot make love under a car"