Anatomy for Beginners

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by cornetgirl, Jan 27, 2005.

1. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Has anyone been watching this??

I've found it pretty useful - mind you, I'm trying to get my head round heart anatomy for the first time in 8 years for the next exam in April! OK so it's not the in-depth exact paths of muscles and blood vessels (anyone with any useful tips on how to remember them please tell me!) but it's en excellent overview.

I'm not freaked out by the dissections - after all I spent most of my 1st year in the anatomy labs at Newcastle - but the audience's faces are amusing at times when they try not to vom!

Best bit for me though is Dennis the live model. He has muscles in all the right places - and he's not wearing anything!!! Bonus!!!! :D

Rach x
  2. jpbray

jpbray Member

I though it would be gruesome, but once you get over the initial shock a real dead body being hacked about in the full glare of the camera, it is quite absorbing, and my stomach stayed put. However, this German Doctor reminds me of the guy in the James Bond film (the one with Carver and the stealth boat)
  3. Tuba Dave

Tuba Dave Member

I missed Monday nights (apparantly thats been the best 1 so far!!) but i have enjoyed watching it. Although i'm not sure that German blokes hat is ment to part of a standard surgical outfit!! :rolleyes:
  4. jonford

jonford Member

I'm a wuss, I had to turn over! Tried to watch it a few times because theres nothing else on TV but when they started cutting up that women last night!!
  5. jpbray

jpbray Member

Television X @ 23:00 10 mins freeview :p :p
  6. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I don't have a probem with the program and if I hadn't forgotten it was on would probably watched them...but I can't help feeling that showing a dead body with it's chest gaping wide open is maybe a little more than some people would want to see in the trailor for the program least you have the choice not to watch the program if that stuff turns your stomach...but to have it graphically displayed in the adverts without any warning of what was going to be shown??
    I have to say I felt a little bit of pity for the people that didn't really want to see that.:-? I was eating French toast when I first saw it, and if I'd been squeemish my GF would have been wearing it!!
  7. Sam Atherton

Sam Atherton Member

I've only seen the first one (got last nights installment on video). Thought it was quite interesting, and the audiences faces were great! It wasn't particularly in depth though, and I'm pretty sure that the same information could have been conveyed without the 'live' dissection.

Rach - have you tried the anatomy colouring book?
  8. mp_TRMB

mp_TRMB Member

I found the programme particularly interesting but it's nothing that you cant see on a plastic model is it?
    I feel sorry for the families of the dead people, i must say :-S

Suppose It was alright but I dont think it needs the live models.
  9. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member that sounds about my level!!!!

It has to beat using as many different coloured pens as possible!!

Good thinking Batgirl!

1st programme was definitely the best - altho the skin peeling off bit made even my hardened stomach feel a bit dodgy. Mind you, it's not as band as having a forensics lecture over lunch I guess...

Rach x
  10. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

True about the life models but it did provide the eye candy!!!!

I think to appreciate the intricacy (big word!) of anatomy there really is nothing better than getting up close and personal with a dissected cadaver. It's a fantastic experience and I can still remember the look and smell of the anatomy lab 9 years on. Models are good too, don't get me wrong, but to appreciate the way vessels run on and across muscles and bones, to see the tiny nerve fibres and to see the difference between health and disease you can't do better than the real thing.

Newcastle had a really good way of dealing with the donated bodies. They're used for a year then the families are allowed to take the remains of the remains and bury or cremate them. The Universiry also holds a memorial service each year. I went in my first year and it was a real celebration of life and the wonder of the human body.

Just can't help wishing the Neurobiology lecturers had done the blancmange on the floor trick!!!!

Rach x
  11. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

Good suggestion. My degree was in Anatomy and Cell Biology and, yes we did get to dissect a human! The anatomy colouring book's are good! For muscles/vessels etc I would recommend drawing them on either yourself or a willing victim (in washable ink ;) ) that really does help!

RE: the programmes - I have missed these but my A2 class were going on about them today, will they be repeated any time?
  12. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

I've seen monday's and wednesday's installments,

Nearly turned my stomach to begin with as they were peeling the skin off, but i think i've been hardened to it now, and it's not quite so gruesome. I think it's a unique chance to see something that most people will never have to opportunity to see
  13. jpbray

jpbray Member

I agree.

It also rams it home that we are all pink inside.;)
  14. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

eugh or yellow!! Are we really that yellow under the skin, or is that just how a body goes after a few days?
  15. jpbray

jpbray Member

Might be question for Uncle Duncan
  16. sparkling_quavers

when's the next programme?
  17. MajorMorgan

MajorMorgan Member

Tonight at 11.30 after Fahrenheit 9/11 on Channel 4.

It's the last one though - they're doing reproduction.
  18. sparkling_quavers

fab! perfect timing!! got the anatomy of reproduction class night week with my access group. I will video it and show them the best clips :-D :-D :-D
  19. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

somehow...i dont think they were *live* :)
  20. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I guess it was just me that thought the trailer was a bit much then. :-?

Oh well, shut up Crawf.

I'll be watching tonight tho!!! ;)