Analogue tape to DVD

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Redhorn, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Just wondering- I have an analogue camcorder (uses tapes!) thats not that old, is it possible to link it up to my PC where I can then make use of the recordable DVD player and put it onto DVD?

I know its possible if I had a digital camcorder, but is there a gadget or program I can get in order to use my analogue camera in the same way?
  2. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

3. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Andy's spot on.

Before rushing out and buying one, though, you can check your graphics card for similar technology. One of my main PCs has a Nvidia FX5950 in it that features TV capture (sometimes you have to install extra drivers for it, or just enable it in the card's control panel), in which case you can connect the video output of the camera to your graphics card and the audio outputs to the line in of your sound card (with appropriate cables ;) ) and do it that way.

Depending on what you intend doing with the video once it's in the PC, capturing in MPEG-2 format avoids the need for re-encoding when you eventually burn to DVD.
  4. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Thats brilliant! Thanks chaps! I'll check out my pc, as per Keiths instructions, and if not i'll invest in one of those little gadgets! Will make life so much easier to stick everything onto DVD, and £20 is a lot cheaper than buying a recordable DVD player or a new camera!
  5. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Next question!: If im recording using the dvd drive on my pc, what type of DVD blank disc do i need?
    (on ebay they list them as DVD+R, or DVD-R. Whats the difference, or are they the same???)
  6. KMJ Recordings

I usually recommend DVD-R for maximum compatibility with commercial DVD players. The only hole you'll fall into is if you want dual layer discs which are only available as +R I think.

The two formats aren't the same...but you don't need the details ;)

Edit: and I normally buy things in bulk from
  7. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

Also, check the outputs from your camcorder (if there are any). A lot of 'older' analogue camcorders had an 's-video' output on them, if that's the case, check to see if your PC has an s-video input on the graphics card, this will save you time, money and hassle although you will have to buy an s-video lead if you don't already have one. Another alternative to buying the usb thingy is upgrading your graphics card. Bought one last week for a pc I was building £19.99 (+vat) for a 128mb AGP8x graphics card with s-video input and VGA and DVI outputs!! I'm going to be buying one for myself in the next few weeks!!
    I hope you have lots of space on your hard drive, I ran a 60 minute mini-dv tape onto my hard drive the other day and it was just under 14Gb!!

KMJ is right, DVD-R is usually more compatible than the +R version. Another consideration with dual layer discs is that they are about £3 each where as the normal DVD-R discs are VERY much cheaper than that!! Also, you may well find that the cheaper your DVD player is/was, the more likely it is to play copies/home recordings etc. I'm fairly sure mine would play vinyl if I could rig it!!!!

Hope it helps

8. KMJ Recordings

Which, of course, is the other benefit of capturing the video as MPEG-2 rather than DVI - the file sizes will be smaller. You've also got to remember that you'll generate quite large temp files during editing.

As a rule of thumb, you can fit 2 hours of DVD video on a single layer disc running at full bit rate (with a single layer disc being 4.7GB).