An unusual problem

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Dave Euph, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

I'm currently recovering from what was a particularly nasty cold, and now I have what can only be described as a sore tongue.

While being fairly irritating on its own, I'm still able to play my euph, but heavy tonguing, and in particular, double-tonguing is causing me severe discomfort.

This is not great timing either as I'm playing at Wychaven(sp?) on Sunday. So while I obviously hope it will clear up prior to then, if it doesn't I may need some home remedies from anyone who may have had similar problems (or know about them) so I can temporarily sort it out.

2. SoloBaritone

SoloBaritone Member

Get yourself to Johnnies, that'll sort you out! Or maybe cos you had a cold and maybe didn't practice, you're out of practice. Get yourself in a rabbit hutch and don't come out till your tongue works.

I bet you're missing my helpful advice at uni.

3. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Whisky, Hot Water, Lemon, Sugar. It works. :D

Add Honey if you want to be a jaffa...
  4. HBB

HBB Active Member

Grrr! You're always trying to get people to try whisky (without the E!)!
  5. Chris Sanders

Because it works, and tastes great! :D
  6. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I've been suffering from a similar problem lately (well, it is the season for such things).

1. I agree with sandman - whiskey or whisky are good medicinal forms of alcohol.
    2. for everyday use, and especially when driving, use Rinsted pastilles. They cure a sore tongue very well. They do odd things to the digestive system, but maybe that's just me.

I'd avoid strepsils. They are, in effect, boiled sweets - which will make tongue damage worse - and those with anaesthetic in are a definite no-no as they are a bit like a trip to the dentist, but without the benefit of a tooth extraction!
  7. Chris Sanders

Yes, drinking and driving is not advisory as the potential for spillage is far greater when changing gears, turning sharp corners at high speed or approaching juctions/traffic lights etc...

Plus with your mobile in one hand and a kebab in the other it is rather challenging reaching the cup holder?
  8. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Given the choice between yacking, munching and whisky (or whiskey), I know what I'd choose... :guiness

(No, I don't have a current, valid, car driver's license...:) It's bike only..)

Back on topic - Benelin. I know it's for throats and coughs, but it works wonders 'twixt lips and lungs. If you take enough ;) .
  9. Chris Sanders

Well they should install Kebab Holders in new cars then :D

My mum always has that, but I cant stand the taste.

I always use the bottle of bells or teachers I get for xmas or birthdays in a hot toddy, save the good stuff for drinking properly.
  10. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Thanks for the advice guys, my conductor, Simon, recommended ibuprofen(sp?) but I only decided to try and find them 10 minutes before going to band, and hence came up short! :lol:

But it pretty much cleared up on its own, despite still a minor lingering pain.

But, oh, the mockery from my fellow banders when I returned to band on Saturday. :)

Thanks for your ever-helpful insight Jayne; and yes, I don't practise enough. How ever did you guess? ;)