An Idea For Under-strength Bands

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Janet Watkins, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

Just been reading the discussion about the scoring of Kaleidescope and was reminded of a post on the Brass Band Mailing list about this time last year.

I have cut and pasted it in full:

Maybe it would work :?

2. James McFadyen

James McFadyen New Member

IMHO, I don't think composers should support this throughout the contesting platform, instead I believe concentration should be centred at improving Brass Banding by getting some bums on the seats - perhaps if composers would write adequate parts for the whole band, then perhaps performers may feel more needed! 3rd Cornets may feel they do nothing, but they are one of the most important parts in the band.

However, I do respect that in the lower sections players may be hard to find and to accomodate this we need to find a strategy, but the music is no the answer, that is my opinion anyway - perhaps we should be thinking about NEW ways to get people into Brass Banding, to alter the music, is, in my opinion ludicrous and detrimental to the Brass Band movement.
  3. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

I'm sure it was written with "tongue firmly stuck in cheek" :wink:

4. James McFadyen

With all the young composers around now, I say another awakening in Brass Band music is about to unfold, but lets do it with style!

In this industry you have to be able to see the wood from the trees! If you can't then u'll be left behind. Look at the bigger picture, I say!

5. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

hehe. i think its funny!!!! :grnsm

flugel, utd co-op yorks.
  6. James McFadyen

I'm glad u can take it light-heartedly! :wink:

I'm certainly glad it's just a premonition, just think of it if that's how people actually wrote! :wink:
  7. shedophone

shedophone Member

I consider myself a young brass band composer so would you feel a little less worried if i promise to write for a full compliment of players? And dont worry, i wont be writing optional french horn parts either..

8. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

After reading the premonition I am sure there are bands arround who already play with a similar set-up :lol:
    It's always handy to be versatile :?
  9. Borfeo

Borfeo Member

Hmmmm......I read the first message and had a chuckle, then I got mightily confused as the humour got sucked right out of it by means of a serious conversation.

Such a waste of a good thread :roll:
  10. T-Horn

T-Horn Member

I have to agree with you there Borfeo
  11. Kari Anson

Kari Anson Member

Well providing the night shift bit was changed to percussion (for our very own Bagpuss) - I think this would be a great idea! :wink:

Actually Wem are very fortunate that we do a have a talented composer and arranger that does actually cater for the band specifically in many of the arrangements - so although this thread is a chuckle - it holds an element of truth too.
  12. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

A lot of arrangers when doing lighter music, make it very simplistice, with minal harmonies and polyphony. This music, I know because we do it ourselves, comes in handy when a "smaller group" is needed.

So why couldn't some composers work towards an "ensemble"-style test piece?
  13. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

i always thought that when you run low on players it was time to crack open the hymn books...
  14. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

There's a few about, Apocalypse by Bourgeois is one very good example. However, you could count the bands across the globe who could play it on one hand, so that's kind of out the question when using it as a set test piece.
    Some Salvationist 'test pieces' require some fantastic ensemble playing, shame most of them aren't known outside the SA - I'm thinking of something like Variations of Maccabeus by Kevin Norbury. Not technically all that demanding, but some good ensemble playing is needed.
  15. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I always try not to make "I agree" posts, but.... I AGREE!! :lol: :lol:

Great idea, but I'd make a few amendments: split parts for 2nd horn (so we don't have to choose between them), sop part totally doubled on 3rd man down to save cuing/rewriting parts, and every single melody line on the euph part.... if they're going to out-blow everyone else anyway, it might as well be the tune! :wink:
  16. I thought a premonition was forseeing something that really does happen-not just imagining if something did happen?