An Ebay puzzle

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by James Yelland, Feb 15, 2010.

1. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Can anyone think of a reason why a seller should list an item (a brass recording) on Ebay's UK website but specifically exclude UK bidders from the auction? I have found a seller who is doing exactly that. Try to bid and you are blocked.

I note the item has been relisted at least once due to lack of bidding, which on the face of it doesn't surprise me. Or is it just me being dense?

2. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Could be that the bank account of the vendor has some sort of restriction on Sterling, or it could be that whoever it is, is a bit of a d1ck!

3. James Yelland

Seems unlikely, unless he/she has some complicated banking arrangements. The vendor is based in Sussex! I did email him/her for an explanation some time ago but didn't get a reply.

4. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Only has a licence that allows sales outside of the UK?

5. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Perhaps the link to the item could be put on here so that we could all go and have a look. Might get more of a clue.

6. James Yelland

Do you need a licence to sell old brass recordings, either to the domestic or foreign markets? I don't think so (although one or two I've heard over the years are definitely hazardous to health!!)

In any case, your suggestion brings me back to my original question - why advertise it on the UK website? It is possible, of course, for bidders in other countries to view the UK site, but how many people would actually do so? For a start, they will need to be able to read English - OK, many will be able, but many will not. And given that the vast majority of items on Ebay will be for domestic market sale only, it hardly seems worth trawling a foreign website for what is effectively a needle in a haystack.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  7. James Yelland

8. The Wherryman

Thanks for the link, Jim.

Having taken a look at the seller's profile and shop, he appears to be a genuine seller of high-end vinyl. A quick shuftie at some of the buyers showed locations in France, Germany, Italy and Taiwan, so there seem to be plenty of customers abroad. Looking at some of the prices being charged, he might have had hassle with UK buyers, particularly with the practice of making unspecified charges for 'tracking'.

When's all said and done, if he doesn't want to sell in the UK that's his prerogative. Perhaps there's a tax issue here, as well?

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Maybe he can make more money shipping overseas than within the UK?

10. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

The Irish eBay site lists UK listings also when you search - most of the things I've purchased on there have been from the UK.

I must admit that it is very weird though, why not sell to someone in the UK?

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Ebay
    UK
    UK website
    UK bidders
    lack of bidding
  12. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

Maybe he/she is registered for VAT but doesn't want to act as an unpaid tax collector for such small amounts. No VAT would be payable on overseas sales. Just a theory!

13. The Wherryman

Under the VAT rules (according to the HMRC website) Internet and mail order sales to EU countries require VAT to be charged, as if it was a UK sale.

14. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

What realy strange is it only list's postage in the UK ?? strange if he's not selling there !!

15. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

who buys those old vinyl records today anyway !!

16. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

You'd be surprised....

17. James Yelland

Me, for a start - hence my interest in this item! Being a fairly modern sort of chap, I'm looking to upgrade my collection of waxed cylinders and shellac discs. I've recently bought a brand new gramophone to play them on.

18. The Wherryman

I've had to stop buying them 'cos I've run out of storage space!!! iPods and CD players might be more convenient, but there's a lot of stuff on vinyl that hasn't made the jump.

If I really wanted to start an argument, I'd say that the 'modern' technology leaves a lot to be desired in actually reproducing the sound that came out of the instrument(s). Crackles and pops...I love 'em :p

19. KMJ Recordings

20. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I do have a lot of old Vinyl recordings, But rarley play them. They get played for tracks I can't find on CD to hear a specific track . Otherwise i mainly listen to Cd's, I can't fit those big Black vinyl disc's into my Car CD player . and they would be a bit hard to turn over at the lights.

21. KMJ Recordings

:biggrin:

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Ebay
    UK
    UK website
    UK bidders
    lack of bidding