An aside to the 'tea break' thread.......

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Keith Stanley James Lever, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Keith Stanley James Lever

Keith Stanley James Lever Supporting Member

Is it really necessary for players to have a glass of water next to them during rehearsals...........

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    glass of water
    players
    tea break
    thread
    rehearsals
  3. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I think they are going soft. You never used to be allowed water on stage when I were a lad! 23 hour concert an nor a drop passed our lips! ;)

I also think it looks untidy and there is a real risk of them being knocked over.

How would it look if I brought an espresso machine on stage?

I reckon it's a con, anyway. It's not water at all it's vodka.

4. Di

Di Active Member

Is there any real reason why a player shouldn't have a drop of water by them?

If a player suffers from a dry mouth, then what is the problem? Surely anything that makes a player feel more comfortable and better able to play is of benefit to everyone, not forgetting the band is a team.

Although I would suggest a plastic bottle with sports top to 1) avoid spillage as mike suggested and 2) no tops to fiddle with making a quick sip in a couple of bars rest nice and discreet and easy. ;)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2004
  5. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

If somebody has a cold, but is toughing it out to come to band, I think that it is a fair trade off that they continue to keep there body from becoming dehydrated.

I'd rather see them there with a bottle of water, than not at all. For a concert however, I do think it looks untidy.

6. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I don't particularly object in rehearsals because our band room is like an oven sometimes - apart from the possible damage to music when the horn section throw theirs all over the floor (in unison, for once) but I really do wonder how we went on when such things were definitely forbidden.

It's all these girlies we've let into the movement :)

*dives for coat

7. Raspberry

Raspberry Member

*grabs handbag*

Are you having a go at the horns for producing the most water?????

Seriously I think if a player (like my fellow horn player has at the moment) has a cold and need a bit of liquid then fair enough.

We do have water available at concerts on hot days so that no one gets dehydrated!!!

8. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

9. BrassBear

BrassBear New Member

Hydration....Hydration.....Hydration.....the key to better brain function and consequently better performance???

10. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I usually like to have something to drink at hand during rehearsals... sometimes it just helps me keep going. However, in concert I wouldn't have anything next to my chair unless I was about to die...

11. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

I don't have water with me in concert, and very rarely have water with me in rehearsal. However, I always take a bottle of water with me on to the contest stage. 9 times out of 10 I won't need it, but it gives me peace of mind.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2004
  12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    glass of water
    players
    tea break
    thread
    rehearsals
  13. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

It looks incredibly amateur and pathetic bringing water on stage. There's no need for it. I've never seen anyone do it in a rehearsal.

14. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

Well in a contest situation, i'd rather give more thought to giving a good playing performance than be worried about what the people in the audience may or may not think about bringing water on. After all, the adjudicators are more often than not in a box, and are there to judge just musically, not appearence (Entertainment contests being the exception obviously!).

15. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

No more amateurish than ladies bringing on handbags, men wearing white socks, bandsman sniggering when other performers are on the stage, Bandsmen sinking a couple of pints in the interval and no more pathetic than the band scratching around for their Hymn Books five seconds before we play the National Anthem because they are unable to memorise fourteen bars of music.

I think a bottle of water on the stage is the least of our worries!

;)

16. impycornet

impycornet Member

I don't see anything wrong with it at all.

What harm is it doing ? I don't think it detracts from the Audience enjoyment of a concert & in a competition they are judging the sounds not how pretty the uniforms are or whether there's the odd bottle of volvic lying around ??

I would much rather anyone in my band have a drink by their side rather than dry up & make themselves more nervous on stage.

Plus... some of the stages we play on these days are so bleedin hot.. I wouldn't consider going on at the the Corn exchange without a bottle of water. But there.... that probably makes me amateur & pathetic.

Just as an aside..... How amateur & pathetic were the Childs brothers during their performing days when they both used to have a soaking wet piece of sponge attached to their Euphs ???

17. Boneman

Boneman Member

I'm with Roger and Impycornet on this one.

Why is it ' amateur and pathetic ' to have water on stage?

I have a small & discreet bottle of water with me in case I get dry. I find It helps my performance. It might be a pyschological effect as described by Gaz Wynne, but i simply can't see why this is a problem (I'm sure my conductor would have far more problems with me should my note production start to suffer!!).

I remember depping with a band and being very impressed that when I walked on stage there was a small bottle of water placed next to EVERY chair! What a sensible idea!!

18. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Well, most of us are amateurs...

19. lafone

lafone New Member

Water??? Whats wrong with a pint???

There are soooo many things which can look a hell of a lot worse than a glass/bottle of water sitting next to somebody's chair - white socks for one as somebody mentioned before, my pink floral flip flops another (still can't believe I got away with that!)
    If they need water/pint of tennents let them have it. ok may look unproffesional as some people put it, but i'd rather the principle cornet/euph/whoever got their solo right than fluff it because they have dry lips.

20. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

I think the thought of needing to bring water on stage actually makes the dry lip problem worse. IMHO that's not the way to go about solving the problem- I think it contributes to the problem. Try giving up the water bottle- out of sight out of mind.

The water bottle is a crutch you should learn to do without! You don't need it.

I have a similar opinion about these creams I've seen people put on their lips after a rehearsal- waste of time.

21. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

err... the creams aren't a waste of time if you have to play the next morning and you've just been blowing your nuts off for 2 hours... ;)

22. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

yes they are a waste of time

get into the habit of doing warm downs