An American Band at the Open

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Sueee, May 16, 2003.

1. Sueee

Sueee Member

what are people's views on an American band going to the Open??

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Open.
    views
    people
    American
    band
  3. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

I think it's a great idea. It fills the space left by Grimey for this years contest. Be interesting to see how they do.

4. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Anything which introduces new names and styles can only be a good thing. An "Open" contest which is closed to "outsiders" is a bit of a misnomer I think.

By all accounts IBB are a class act, and should provide stiff competition to *insert your bandname here*

If this goes well, we could see the invitation door being swung further open, to potentially kick off something very special indeed.

5. On the Horn

On the Horn Member

Hope they do well, nice to know theres another batch of bands out there to compete with.

6. Sueee

Sueee Member

but if the 'doors being swung further open' why bother having a system such as the grand shield, senior cup n trophy... might aswell all be invitation only.

7. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

I'm sorry if my facts are wrong... I was under the impression that the open *was* invitation only...

8. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Its a part of the Open's rich history that they have invited bands from abroad from time to time so this in itself is nothing new. Between the wars the contest was won by an Australian band, but they were not allowed to take the trophy home with them!

In the past they have always been bands from within the Commonwealth countries but for the first time they have gone beyond that. The Americans ought to start getting in practice drinking proper beer and remember to bring plenty of money to hand over to those miserable g#ts that work the bar at Symphony Hall.

I'd be very happy to see one overseas band each year taking part, although in principle I think it would be a better contest if there were fewer bands taking part.

9. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

Bring 'em on. I think with Britain still being the centre of excellence as far as Brass Bands go (something we're still the best at!) where else should we have what will hopefully become a "World Championship". I know it is still a qualification contest, so I can understand why people may have a cause to gripe...especially those who have sweated blood in Blackpool, so I think some form of qualification events may have to occur in other countries. But, at the end of the day, where else should a battle of the world's best occur.....the home of Brass Banding that's where.
    Sud.

10. Sueee

Sueee Member

ah no it's ok... your probably thinking of the Master's in Cambridge.

I think that this subject is very contraversial? is that how u spell that? lol... n I can c the good sides AND the bad sides... :)

11. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

i think it is invitation only. as is the national finals, you only get an invite to the finals, you don't actually qualify as such.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Open.
    views
    people
    American
    band
  13. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I think it's a great idea... why not I ask?? If it helps to promote banding throughout the world, especially showing the very high standard of our UK bands, then surely this is a good thing yeah?

14. Why should it matter that an american band are at the open may I ask?

15. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

As far as I'm aware what has been said earlier is correct, the Open is invitation only. Winning the Grand Shield wins you said invitation. Thats why they can invite whoever they like to the Open. I believe Australian and New Zealand bands have been previously, but that this is the first non-commonwealth band to take part. As I said earlier, with Grimey unable to attend they are making good use of the space by introducing a new element to the contest. Be interesting to see if this extends in the future to european bands...

16. Brian

Brian Member

American Band at the Open

Hey I always thought the name of the contest was "The BRITISH Open", or maybe it's changed

17. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

Re: American Band at the Open

yes it is.

The British OPEN

18. Brian

Brian Member

American band at the Open

If it is the "BRITISH Open" or the "British OPEN" or even the "BRITISH OPEN", does not that then imply that is open to "British " Bands only or is it that it is an "Open" Contest on British soil ?

19. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

good point, but i'm assuming it's britsh and open to all.

i think it's a good idea that an american band has been invited though. For one thing it will be good to listen to their style etc, and if/how different it is to british ones.

20. Brian

Brian Member

American Band at the Open

I don't disagree with you, but the majority of American "Brass" Bands do tend to use trumpets as well as cornets in their line-up, listen to Battle Creek Band (It can be very effective in the right pieces) but I'm not sure about the legality as regards contesting in the U.K.as it's The Planets for the test piece maybe all the bands would like trumpets ?

21. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

this is the same argument we had at last years "all england" masters when Cory were invited... this could go on for ages :)

22. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Re: American band at the Open

Well what about the BRITISH OPEN golf tounament. That has foriegn players in it. It is basically a British Contest that is open to all comers.