An ambitious question

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by gcbtrom, Mar 9, 2009.

1. gcbtrom

gcbtrom Member

Just suddenly had a really dumb, put potentially "cool" idea.

Is it actually possible to get EVERY single member of EVERY brass band in the UK in the same place at the same time to perform at the same time?

Kind of like what Ian "Harold" Smith did when he came over, but much, much bigger?

There must be at least 300 bands out there if not a lot more, each with 35 players or so in, which would make the grand total of 10,500 players! (and more)

I know it's insane, but could it ACTUALLY be done?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Ian ``Harold'' Smith
    UK
    players
    Harold
    Ian
  3. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Doubt it. I can't even get all my own band together at the same time and place!!

4. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Yeah.... what he said! What might work would be a band with a nominated member of every band! Massed band madness!!!;)

5. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Getting deps would be a nightmare! :)

6. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

LMFAO! :biggrin::clap:

7. Despot

Despot Member

Over 1000 bands in the UK I think

8. jonesbp

jonesbp Member

Who would you have conducting? or would you have every conductor in the country trying to conduct the same piece at the same time?

9. gcbtrom

gcbtrom Member

Ok, thats 35,000 players then. As for conducting I don't know. I guess get all the conductors names, put them into a hat and pull one out at random. Would have to be a "very" big hat mind you...

10. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

No, I'll be somewhere else...........

11. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

More importantly: Is it actually desirable?

Just imagine the intonation........:eek:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Ian ``Harold'' Smith
    UK
    players
    Harold
    Ian
  13. gcbtrom

gcbtrom Member

Well I guess not in many peoples heads, but imagine 35,000 people all playing a brass band piece at the same time?

Could be a guiness world record for the amount of people in one place doing the same thing OTHER than watching football!

14. andyp

andyp Active Member

We already do this - it's called Whit Friday......

......well it feels like it at times, anyway! :biggrin:

15. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

i would imagine there would be more than 1000 bands. probably nearer 2000. and the logistics of finding a place big enough for one point....a lot of people would need chairs and also what about toilets :p.

Didn't butlins try to do this in 2007 with that andrew duncan piece???

16. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

An interesting experiment. Just tell me when and where and I'll make sure I'm out of the country :D
    Can you imagine the noise?!

17. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

It's hard enough getting 26 to a rehearsal.

18. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Ooops! Just re-read the first post and realised that the OP was talking about some sort of mega-massed band, not every band in the country playing as I'd thought.

That'll teach me to reply to half-read posts at work :oops:. It looks like I've used up my stupid token for this week though - and I've still got 5 whole days left!

19. Eb_Alex

Eb_Alex Member

im sure if it was well planned with plenty of notice you would get a half decent turn out, you would never get everyone though. you would also have to avoid all contest weekends, itd have to be in summer because itd have to be outdoors, somewhere suitable and accessible would need to be found and then just advertise. I am sure you could break some sort of record.

20. flugel_fancy

flugel_fancy Member

Imagine if they all emtied their instruments of water at the same time!

EWWWWWWWWW :biggrin:

Wellies required.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  21. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

it aint gonna happen!

22. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Carefull, ewes and wellies? - people will be accusing you of being Welsh next - oh you are? ;)