An Age of Kings - Testpiece or Not ?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Robin Norman, May 5, 2005.

1. Robin Norman

Robin Norman Member

I've just received my copy of the Dyke 'Trumpets of the Angels' Cd. Some fantastic playing and fantastic music.

A particular favourite of mine is 'Age of the Kings' and I wondered whether this may work in a testpiece context. At 21:44 it is very long but no longer than the Bourgeois Concerto Grosso. I'm more thinking of the additional players that would be needed (4 Horns instead of the normal 3, Two Off-stage Trumpets, 2 Sops, 2 Flugals and 5 Percussionists including two sets of Timps)

It is a real shame that, because of the increased instrumentation, I don't think this piece will get the performances it deserves. It would make a cracking area or open tester but, with the additional instrumentation, I think most people will write it off. I wonder if there's any chance of Professor Gregson 'scaling it down' in terms of instrumentation so all bands can take a look at it at times other than massed band occasions.

For those of you that haven't heard it I highly recommend it, a great piece for Brass Band that I personally think the movement could do with more of.
  2. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Don't forget the harp and mezzo-soprano.

Cracking piece of music., Those of us in the lower strata of banding for whom a band of full (current) instrumentation is an ambition aren't going to be playing too much like it in the near future though.
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

If there was little interest in the proposed contesting version of "Trumpet of the Angels" (which would I reckon be a real test for bands) I don't see much prospect of anything coming of "An age of Kings" :(
  4. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Might work for NABBA Championships where you are allowed 30 players on stage at a time?

Still would have to do something about the harp an soprano though.
  5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure Peter Roberts could cover that for you :oops:
  6. Robin Norman

Robin Norman Member

Did the contesting version of 'Trumpets' ever get done. Another great piece that I think should find its way into the contest repertoire if it was done.
  7. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Given the nature of the piece (additional non-brass instruments, singers etc) I would think it unlikely that it will be rearranged to suit band only and I am not sure whether Professor Gregson would be interested in doing, considering he has made it clear of his displeasure at 'Trumpets....' not being used.

I would like to 'Trumpets....' used in one of our majors. 'Of men and mountains' has been neglected too. I still find it amazing that we continue to run over 'old ground' with Masquerade and Montage (don't get me wrong...fantastic pieces) when there are so many works that have not been used before or have been neglected despite their accessiblity, popularity and most importantly...quality.

Come on Open about honouring Professor Gregson at the Open this year?
  8. Robin Norman

Robin Norman Member

Here Here !!! I'll second that.:clap: :clap: :clap: