Amazing effect called 'Holophony' - you must listen to this!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Nov 8, 2006.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Not too sure if I posted this before.

A friend sent me this link to what I can only describe as an amazing sound effect. It depicts the sound travelling across all possible axis... up, down, behind, in front, left and right... it really is quite amazing.:eek:

Have a listen and see what you think....

Holophonic Sound Experiment

2. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Listening on the PC speakers, it's quite good...

On headphones - BRILLIANT! :clap:

3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Yes should say that it is best heard with headphones... thanks Derek.

4. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

The rattling matchbox:

Left or right, fine.

Behind me - weird.

But sinking down to the side... OMG! :eek:

Enough! Bedtime!

5. Heather

Heather Member

I've just listened on my laptop!!!
    Yes, I know its not the best way to listen but even that was good.
    will try it later on headphones.

6. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

That is very creepy:eek:

Cool though:clap:

7. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

Mmmm not the best i have heard. We done something in uni using 5.1. now THAT was good.

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- got a sample?

9. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

It sounds like the electric sounds the Scissor Sisters use, when the sound goes from one side to another! Amazing, but makes you feel dizzy!

10. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

If you've listened on headphones (which you really need to do as this is similar to a binaural recording) you'll notice that it isn't just going from side to side....it's going from side to side behind you which is the clever bit ;)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    effect
    link
    before.
    sound effect
    I
  12. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

*blinks* I reeeeeeally can't be bothered to go behind the comp to plug headphones in ;) but sounds wicked!

13. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

Unfortunatley not. It was a Demonstration thye lecturer used when we were learning how to mix in 5.1 in digi-design pro-tools. I am sure that the sound sample that is on here could be put into 5.1 using a pro. program like pro-tools though!

14. KMJ Recordings

You don't need ProTools to have a dabble in 5.1 ;) Any audio recorder with enough busses and and interface with enough outs can do it to an extent (for instance one of the Creative Audigy Series cards with one of their Inspire 5.1 speaker sets would be a budget option).

The 'problem' with surround as a viable market is that there are less people out there that have a decent monitoring system (with the speakers in the right places being a good start ;) ) than there are with stereo.

15. brassintheed

brassintheed Member

This sort of effect was pioneered longer ago than you think. Just have a listen to any Alan Parson's work either in the Project albums or Pink Floyd. He's been using the holophonic effects for at least 30 years.

16. KMJ Recordings

Early 1980s IIRC.

The Floyd example is on "The final cut". Which reminds me, I really must get my copy back off my brother :D

17. brassintheed

brassintheed Member

I think it goes back even earlier, the Projects started in 1976, and I'm pretty sure he used these effects from outset. Dark Side of the Moon is probably the most famous example (footsteps and helicopter)

18. KMJ Recordings

19. KMJ Recordings

20. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

I am not saying that you DO need pro-tools but it is the best piece of recording software on the market, and you can now pick up a basic version for PC (Shudders) for £200.

21. KMJ Recordings

That's debateable ;)

(and rather OT)

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    effect
    link
    before.
    sound effect
    I