Amateur Banding ?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by its_jon, Aug 22, 2012.

1. its_jon

its_jon Member

Over the last 100 year+ we have had pride in out amature movement.

That we do this for a hobby,
    when we offer assistance it has in the majority of cases been on a vocational basis without cause to winge.

But.... how deep are our amature roots in reality ?
    Do our principals hold strong when confronted with demanding sponsors for instance ?
    Can commercial interest at any level excercise influence over us to surpress the freedom amature status offers ?

Now in the UK money seems to influence interesting player moves, types of music available or deemed fit to popularise, instruments chosen for example.
    Popular forums deliberating about the finantial and ethical aspects marbled throughout our ruling banding infrastructure.
    Self proclaimed 'pioneers' spin webs attempting to lure more funds towards the expences pot.
    Is it democratic, is it self appointed ? why does it exist, for whom, and what do WE 'actually' need it for in many cases.
    Which ruling body will make a move for control next ? Do we want even more control ? Will we have a choice ?

At the end of it all, how does this effect what really matters. ?

Are our amature morality and principals threatened ?

Has banding changed (for better or worse) or are we still in the good old days ?

Step out of the Banding Arena for a second or two and take a look at the game thats playing out from a spectators view point.
    is our movement is conducting itself intelligently ?

Is our movement still proud or fit to be Amature ? or are we predominated towards cynicism of amature actions or offerings ?
    Are we been hearded towards the professional mindset ? and the accentuation that everything 'must' have a price ?
    Is our situation really Amature Vs Pro ? ...very sad if this is true :(

Is Banding still Amature ?

Amature (French - for the love of)
  2. its_jon

its_jon Member

[note:- not a thread bump.] I can not edit/add to posts including fix typos.

Just wanted to add... as with other posts, this is open to everyone.
  3. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

I'll do it for you. The word is 'amateur'.
  4. its_jon

its_jon Member

Blimey ... I always get that one wrong. :oops: ... thanks :tup
  5. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I think we have "Two tier" banding now, with an ever expanding yawning gulf between the top bands that are, let's face it, as near to semi professional as you can get, and the vast majority of banders who play music as a pleasurable hobby. As I've said before, we have "Premier League" banding, and "The rest", who considerately act as feeder bands by training up youngsters who when competent may aspire to the upper echelons. It has been like this ever since top bands in the last century were able to offer tempting financial inducements and even employment together with a chance to experience the fame and glory of big name banding. It will continue, but perhaps less so in the future as lucrative sponsorships would seem to be drying up.

~ Mr Wilx