Am I to old?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by shezza, Dec 1, 2010.

1. shezza

shezza New Member

Hello, all I am a musician and have been playing guitar and bass for many years,
    more recently I have swiched to a Yamaha WX5 which does not require much of a technique to blow ect. But I would really like to learn the trumpet but at the age of sixty do you think that I am to old? I will not be offended at you blunt replies.............Pete.

2. AmandaD

AmandaD Member

Hi

No way. We had an open day in May this year and a retired gentleman came along for 'a coffee and to listen to the band' (his words) and he left with a trombone, with the promise of some lessons.

He had some lessons with us, and joined our B band in September and has recently played his first concert with them. He loves playing his trombone.

If you want to do it, go for it !!!, you won't have the longest playing career in history, but you could have alot of fun.

Amanda.x.

3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Never too old!!
    Just keep in mind (especially since it sounds like you are already a musician), that progress may not always come in the leaps and bounds you like (e.g. your mind might be ahead of your chops). But if you really want to do it, I'm sure you'll make it happen!

4. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

No way! You're not too old! If you want to learn trumpet - just go for it!

5. GordonJames

GordonJames New Member

Never too old....I'm 75 and returned to playing after 40 year break this year....I play 2nd cornet in4th Section Band..............get a good tutor! you will be suprised how much you can learn

6. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Never too old, I agree. There was a chap on the trombone forum some time back who took up trombone, his first musical instrument, at the age of 79 on the advice of his doctor, who thought it could help work against his advanced lung disease.

In terms of developing facial musculature - it may be that a lower brass instrument than trumpet would give you an easier time. I simply throw that out there for your consideration.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  7. shezza

shezza New Member

WOW, Thank you very much for all your replies,My next question is....
    which trumpet would you recommend for a beginner,also does the Yamaha silent mute actually silence the trumpet? lets say for late night practice sessions.

8. KenIrvin

KenIrvin Member

Silent mute

I found the Silent Mute very good when I started again. It is not silent, but quiet enough so as not to upset the neighbours

9. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

The student Yamaha instruments are good

10. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Indeed. And given the OP's other instruments, I'm sure it wouldn't take long for him to hook it up to an amp through a pedal board for special effects...........:cool:

I also think that considering a bigger instrument might lead to quicker progress due to the way facial muscles need to be developed.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    WX5
    Yamaha
    guitar
    years
    swiched
  12. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

I thought that too. You also have the advantage as a Guitar player of reading music, good Rhythm and an ear for tuning.