Am I being dim?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by hellyfrost, May 14, 2007.

1. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

Just had my order delivered from normans and I had ordered Blue Juice which they said they had plenty of stock of it, but it's arrived and it's not Blue Juice, it's CG Conn Valve Oil.
    I might just be being dim here; it's not the same stuff is it? It's not even blue, so I can't see how it can be... :oops:
    Should I ask for it changing, or is the Conn stuff better? The Conn isn't even listed on their website so I can't even compare it...
    Help! lol
  2. persins

persins Member

Although the temptation is almost overwhelming to just call you dim for the sake of it, I don't think that you are being in this case.

Blue juice is definitely blue! Or at least a bluey green! I would give Normans a call and see what they say.
    I've not tried that Conn valve oil and so cannot coomment on whether it is better or not.
  3. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

feel free to call me dim; most people do lol!
  4. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

OK, you're dim. ;) No really, you are. You should be buying Will Spencer's Snake Oil. It makes Blue Juice seem like diesel, but on topic, phone Normans and ask why they didn't send the product you asked for.
  5. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

Now there's another conversation about valve oil on here and that says that snake oil really messed up someone's Euphonium...

Blue Juice seems to be the "good all-rounder" hence why I went for that.

Anybody got any info on the Conn?

I'm using Holton at the moment, but it's about ten years old and doesn't seem to be doing any actual lubing..
  6. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

I am using Al Cass 'Fast' which I bought from Normans at the weekend. Funnily enough, I enquired about other types of oil and was told that they only stock Blue Juice, Besson and Al Cass yet you end up with Conn?!
  7. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

Indeed! I just spoke to them and the guy on the phone was totally puzzled too as he said exactly the same to me about them only stocking Blue Juice, Besson and Al Cass.
    Perhaps it came out of a new instrument outfit...?
    Anywho, they're sending me a bottle of blue juice and they said I can keep the Conn. So it's all goo in the end :)
  8. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

your not dim, its just youv'e been conn....ed!!!:p
  9. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

He's here all week! :clap:
  10. annmck

annmck Member

I have some "old fashioned" valve oil which smells of lemon. It's lovely and you can tell when we are being worked hard because you suddenly get a lemon waft across the band which is much more preferable to the smell that eminates from one of our bass players. I won't mention any names :eek:
  11. Di

Di Active Member

That's got to go down in the nominations for "post of the year". ;):clap:
  12. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

:biggrin:eye thankee:biggrin:
  13. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

I don't know anything about Conn valve oil, but I DO know that you should be very careful if you're switching from Holton to Blue Juice. Holton is a synthetic valve oil, Blue Juice is natural and you should try not to mix the two types as they can congeal. So make sure that you thoroughly clean your valves before starting to use a new brand of valve oil.
    I recently switched from "the dark side" to using Blue Juice only after borrowing a couple of trumpets off a friend who was absolutely insistent that the only valve oil to go NEAR them would be Blue Juice - and the valves on his trumpets are like magic - so fast. It's good stuff.
  14. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

There are LOTS of conversations on here about valve oil!!

I don't remember the one you refer to, but I've heard nothing but good things about Spencer's Snake Oil. I use it myself and would have no problem recommending it to anyone.

Blue Juice is another matter! I used to use it religiously and initially I was very happy with it, until I started noticing bluey coloured gunky build-ups on my valves and the end of the slides. I started to monitor what was going on and found I was having to wash my flugel and my wife's baritone more and more regularly. The final straw came with a frustrating 1 hour-long fight trying to gently coax the Bari's 4th valve out of its casing due to the encrusted layer of bluey crud built up at the top of the bore. This was just over a month after I'd given the Baritone a decent clean out - so that build-up was from just four weeks playing. Boosey's cr*ppy valve design was partly to blame admittedly, and I could never say that it was definately the Blue Juice that caused this (it could've just be colouring the crud that was already there), but since I stopped using it the "crud-count" has been significantly reduced. Other players have told me of similar problems after using Blue Juice.

Sorry for the long post, but I'd be careful with Blue Juice.
  15. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

Thanks for the advice everyone - much appreciated! I'll be sure to give the valves and casings a dam good clean before i start using the blue juice and i'll monitor for any extra gunk!

Loved the conn...ed joke! :)
  16. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Another Snake Oil user here - and very happy.

The fact that Normans made a mistake is something I am not at all surprised about - I only ordered something from them once (I got taken in by their low prices) - it arrived wrong and damaged. I took it back in person and they said it must have been me that damaged it! After some serious negotiation I got my money back.
    Never going to use them again - there are MUCH more reliable people out there.
  17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I must admit that my Wallace Collection non-toxic oil services my valves extremely well. Expensive, but it lasts a very long time with little build-up of gunge at the bottom.
  18. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

And here was me thinking valve oil was valve oil........;-)