alto trombone!?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Iain Maxwell, May 17, 2004.

1. Iain Maxwell

Iain Maxwell New Member

Does anyone know of anywhere where i can get a fairly cheap but descent alto trombone!? Im looking for one to muck around on before i start college in sept and just wondered if anyone had one for sale, or knows of one going cheap :?:

2. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

Depends what you mean by cheap and decent!

You can get a new one from John Packer for around £550. Have you played one before? If not, I would strongly suggest taking a trip to a stockist and having a blow - it is a rather unusual instrument (but I like it).

Have a look on ebay is my advice.
  3. Bones

Bones Member

PM me I have one for sale.

4. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Quite often there is an Amati being advertised with a "Buy it Now" option for 325. Can heartily recommend the B&Ss that John Packer retail for the quoted 550 - mine is gorgeous, albeit with some tuning issues low down - but then, I've never come across an Alto entirely without tuning difficulties.
  5. tewkeshorn

tewkeshorn Account Suspended

Saw Trevada Music had one on their trade stand at Weston yesterday for a couple hundred squid (and some money too) if it helps...

get a slide trumpet, they are even funkier :p
  6. BFN

BFN Member

Try and a Weril Alto for about £400. Myatt are really good to deal with, and give you a week to try stuff out with a full refund if you're not happy. If you want pictures, do an image serch on google with "weril gg31" And go to for a review.
  7. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Does that mean you would like to buy one that is cheap but going down in value? :?
  8. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Alto Trombones are great, it's just too easy to take the slide off while playing! I would imagine they're not too expensive to get hold of.
  9. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

I dunno about their trombs, but I'd never touch a Weril tuba, so I'd be careful with this option.
  10. Daniel Sheard

Daniel Sheard Member

I seem to remember Steve Ferguson saying that the Weril altos have issues at the moment, and that he doesn't recommend them now. Is it the £325 Amati that is TIS - if so, I've heard it is a nice instrument.

Daniel Sheard
    Trombone, Northop
  11. ScrapingtheBottom

If you do get one, let me know how it goes. I have plans on starting a trombone family (I have a tenor and a bass already).
  12. Daniel Sheard

Daniel Sheard Member

Incidentally, you'll find lots of discussion on the merits of various altos (amongst others) on forum, or the BTS forum A lot of the pricing info on the OTJ is US based, and not applicable, but discussions on the quality of various instruments is interesting, provided you can get past the S****s word.

13. ScrapingtheBottom

He makes a good 'bone though.