alto trombone!?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Iain Maxwell, May 17, 2004.

1. Iain Maxwell

Iain Maxwell New Member

Hi,
    Does anyone know of anywhere where i can get a fairly cheap but descent alto trombone!? Im looking for one to muck around on before i start college in sept and just wondered if anyone had one for sale, or knows of one going cheap :?:

Cheers
    Iain

2. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

Depends what you mean by cheap and decent!

You can get a new one from John Packer for around £550. Have you played one before? If not, I would strongly suggest taking a trip to a stockist and having a blow - it is a rather unusual instrument (but I like it).

Have a look on ebay is my advice.

3. Bones

Bones Member

PM me I have one for sale.

Cheers

Rich

4. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Quite often there is an Amati being advertised with a "Buy it Now" option for 325. Can heartily recommend the B&Ss that John Packer retail for the quoted 550 - mine is gorgeous, albeit with some tuning issues low down - but then, I've never come across an Alto entirely without tuning difficulties.

5. tewkeshorn

tewkeshorn Account Suspended

Saw Trevada Music had one on their trade stand at Weston yesterday for a couple hundred squid (and some money too) if it helps...

get a slide trumpet, they are even funkier :p

6. BFN

BFN Member

Try www.myatt.co.uk and a Weril Alto for about £400. Myatt are really good to deal with, and give you a week to try stuff out with a full refund if you're not happy. If you want pictures, do an image serch on google with "weril gg31" And go to http://www.steveferguson.net/ for a review.

7. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Does that mean you would like to buy one that is cheap but going down in value? :?

8. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Alto Trombones are great, it's just too easy to take the slide off while playing! I would imagine they're not too expensive to get hold of.

9. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

I dunno about their trombs, but I'd never touch a Weril tuba, so I'd be careful with this option.

10. Daniel Sheard

Daniel Sheard Member

I seem to remember Steve Ferguson saying that the Weril altos have issues at the moment, and that he doesn't recommend them now. Is it the £325 Amati that is TIS - if so, I've heard it is a nice instrument.

Daniel Sheard
    Trombone, Northop

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Cheers Iain
    descent alto trombone
    sept
    sale
    college
  12. ScrapingtheBottom

If you do get one, let me know how it goes. I have plans on starting a trombone family (I have a tenor and a bass already).

13. Daniel Sheard

Daniel Sheard Member

Incidentally, you'll find lots of discussion on the merits of various altos (amongst others) on www.trombone.org forum, or the BTS forum www.trombone-society.org.uk. A lot of the pricing info on the OTJ is US based, and not applicable, but discussions on the quality of various instruments is interesting, provided you can get past the S****s word.

Daniel

14. ScrapingtheBottom

He makes a good 'bone though.