Alto Trombone Wanted...

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Po's the name, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Po's the name

Po's the name Member

My apologies for requesting a non brass band instrument when I know most readers are from that genre, but what's in your cupboard ?
    I am looking to purchase an alto trombone to help with my studies and performances, can anybody help ?
    Thanks for your time.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    brass band instrument
    anybody
    alto trombone
    Thanks
    apologies
  3. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Hello, mate. Depends on finances and how much you'll be playing it. If it's just occasional use, go for one of those cheapie Chinese ones, if you will be taking it more seriously, go for a Conn/Bach/Yamaha, if you're taking it REALLY seriously, fork out for a Thein or Latzch (spelling a bit dodgy).

If it's any help, I use a Conn 36H (or is it a 39H - can't remember, but it's the one with the plug) and it's fine for my needs. I've used it with the RPO, CBSO, RLPO amongst others with no complaints.

4. timbloke

timbloke Member

I bought one about 18 months ago from John Packer (JP something or other). Cost less than £200 and it has been absolutely fine for the occasional gigs I've done on it. Also comes in a nice hard case with straps!

5. amgray

amgray Member

I have a Yamaha Custom and a Packer Alto. While there is a difference in quality it isn't nearly as profound as the price differential would suggest.

The Packer would be fine to learn on, and like many other things, when you can do it right, get yourself a good 'un!

6. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Why not try tapping up the trombone teachers at college to see if any of them are thinking about upgrading? My girlfriend Louise got a Yamaha Custom alto for £300 from her teacher while she was at the RCM, Mike Hext - a lovely instrument that he was thinking about chopping into a sackbutt! Okay, it was offered, she didn't ask, but it might be worth letting it be known among the staff that you're in the market...

I play on a B&S alto that I got from Packers a few years ago (before they started their own brand range) for £538. It's a lovely clear sounding instrument (pretty small bore for an alto - .441/.461 dual) that does the business in pretty much any alto situation, although it has a few intonation quirks, and hates high Dbs.

Btw, it's a Conn 36H that Duncan's got.

7. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Especially considering your head of brass at the RWCMD won't really be needing his anymore!

Mark Templeton has just got one

Thanks Dave. I never can remember:confused: