Alternative Olympic sports

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by daveredhead, Jul 8, 2005.

1. daveredhead

daveredhead Member

A comment was made about "Drug free Sprints" and thought lets have alternative sports Like balancing a pint on head while marching, How many people in a mini playing musical instruments, come on you lot!! you can do better than that, all those brainy tMprs with inventive minds , clean family sports that is :wink:
  2. Sam Atherton

Sam Atherton Member

I think that athletics could be made more entertaining by adding an element of school sports day to it. 400m egg and spoon hurdles, three-legged steeple chase, 1500m sack race, that sort of thing...
  3. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Forget Greco Romano wrestling, KY Jelly wrestling and Foxy boxing please!
  4. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Badger watching (come on BMB, you'd be a gold medal winner for Britain!)

Skiing, using snooker cues as skis

Synchronised swimming (Damn, someone's already thought of that!)

Gerbil hurling (using fake gerbils, of course..... ;))

Table tennis, using real live bats.

Snooker, using cues made of balsa wood

I'll get me coat....
  5. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Why fake? ;)
  6. Steve

Steve Active Member

I was talking about training up for the olympics today with our b.trom player. I am considering doing the steeplechase but hiding a bucket and power saw around the track, running the wrong way from the start line and emptying the water pit and choping the hurdles down to make it a littele easier. Would be famous for life.
  7. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Well talking of steeplechase, how about that, literally? Nabbing a steeple of a cathedral or church, and have it speed round the track like the hare in greyhound racing, with all manner of athletes chasing like buqqery to try and catch it? Hold it on a Sunday and Jonathan Edwards might be tempted out of retirement.
  8. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

actually i've been thinking about something a lot lately and it is:
    Extreme Banding.

whose band will go furthest? dare you skydive with instruments? go skiing with your bass strapped on? the underwater events would get interesting ;) bungee jumps, skateboarding bands, trying to blast a note over the sound of a motorbike rally...

could lead to a whole new type of composition too, particularly in the bungee-jumping style; each player jumps and plays a note at the bottom, and somehow you have to make a tune!

who's up for it?!
  9. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

You wouldn't be the first, alas. Some pals of mine from my days with Fulham Brass Band started a little group called 'Extreme Banding' (which included playing in a shopping centre in Sweden in tempertaures of -17C). They used to have a website but it appears to have gone.
  10. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

but thankyou for telling me
  11. Di

Di Active Member

How about a "blowathon" - circular breathers only need apply. :)
  12. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

How about the hundred metres chormatic scale?

The high "diminished 7th" jump?

The in tune 7th position?

The FF trombone trio without rasping?

The playing low Eb on 2/3 without a trigger?
  13. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

If we're getting that silly, how about 'head the putt' or 'catch the javelin'?
  14. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

There's already an Olympic Concerto, so maybe we could all play the solo part in unison ;)
  15. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I know!!! I know!!!

"Practising a test piece without an errata sheet!"
  16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

We could have (a) the bar-sprint (after playing) (b) the marathon (downing as many beverages until the last band plays) (c) random drug-testing (screening bandspeople who are judging other band's performances to check whether they had actually heard them!) and (d) the hurdles (a race back to the arena to hear the results). ;)
  17. daveredhead

daveredhead Member

Alt Olympic sports

Great ones Dave, now i know i am in the real world, not laughed so much for a long time:clap:
  18. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Don't encourage me..... ;) ;)
  19. Crazysop

Crazysop Member