Alternative flutter-tonguing methods?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by nickelplated, Feb 28, 2014.

1. nickelplated

nickelplated New Member

Hi everyone. I play the French horn and I physically cannot flutter tongue, nor can I roll my R's. I've just never been able to, I think it's a genetic thing because my brother has never been able to either. It just doesn't work for me no matter how much I try. I also can't roll my R's/flutter-tongue from the back of my mouth.

Anyway, I was wondering if there were any alternative ways to flutter tongue without actually flutter-tonguing, if that makes sense. The way I do it now is by putting my lips really close together. That sometimes makes the same sound as when you would play a tremolo, but it only works about half of the time and it's really annoying to move my lips together while I'm in the middle of playing. Is there a better alternative way, or should I just keep doing what I'm doing?

Thanks!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    thing
    methods
    everyone
    French
    R
  3. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

Take up baritone, will be another technique you wont need ever again. :D:D

4. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

I was going to suggest fluttering the back of the tongue (around the 'gh' sounding part of it, rather than the 'r') but just read your o.p. closely - not sure what else to suggest.

It's interesting what different players have a natural ability to do (or the reverse, sadly). My great regret is that I can't play lip trills - but then I'm blessed with good low chops. My professor at college had the reverse problem, which led to some rather 'interesting' (noisy) play-offs...

5. iffytboner

iffytboner Member

you could try growling in the back of your throat? Some players I know use that method. strangely, I can't do it but I can flutter tongue

Iain