Alternative FIngering

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Farmer Giles, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

Hi all

i have been having a look through my copy of Tristan, and i am going to have a lot of fun with Trans V (second 2nd Cornet)!

it is written in 5 sharps and i cannot stand playing sharps, so ...........

does anyone know what, if any alternative fingerings i could use to make this easier ?

the runs start on a bottom b, go up to c#, and back down again several times.

all help greatly appreciated !

FG

2. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Just practice the B Major scale? :wink:

3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Not many options for alternative fingering there! I know everyone is different, and maybe it's in part because I did not start off in brass bands, but I find the sharp keys fairly easy - in this case, the second valve stays down all the time so you've only got the other two to worry about. The alternatives, such as using 3rd for the E and A, would probably just make it more awkward.

4. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

erm..............

sorry for being thick, but could you explan a couple of bits from your post please ......

1) B Major ...... is that like a normal B road, but busier ?

2) Practice ...... surely this is just myth !

:D

FG

5. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

B Major is the one where you start on B (2nd valve I believe), finish on the B above it, or in this case the C#....then waggle fingers like mad for the middle bits. This may or maynot be helpful. :oops: :oops:

6. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

Shhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!

i was trying to keep my technique a secret incase anyone copied it :D

FG

7. Steve

Steve Active Member

pull your tuning slide out and play C major or push it in and play Bb major :wink: its so much easier than learning sharps :?

8. BottyBurp

BottyBurp Member

Insist on blowing your water out at that precise moment? Take your valves out and mess with them? :wink:

9. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

ooooh.....shall be listening now Chris....dont worry, i believe all the cornet section has the same B major run, it just goes like a canon.

Better get practicing!!! :D :D

10. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Join a second section band and play Kaleidascope instead :D

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Alternative FIngering
    all
    copy
    lot
    fun
  12. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

One of my most esteemed playing colleagues has a name for this technique. He calls it 'turkey valving' and tends to employ it quite often to varying degrees of effect! Also known as a 'Ted Rodger's' in some circles I understand.

Igg

13. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Considering I used to play with Matthews, I guess that's where it must have come from. :wink: :wink:

14. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

[quote="iggmeister Also known as a 'Ted Rodger's' in some circles I understand.

Igg[/quote]

Hence, 321 321 321 321... Works an absolute treat for high register Tuba playing with a fluffy articulation.

Dave

15. Di

Di Active Member

I've always found it easier to read in flats than sharps :oops: so how about rewriting the runs using Bn, C#, Eb, En, F#, Ab, Bb, Bn. Also if you use all three for Bb then you never have to lift the second valve.

16. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

If you want flats, you should try Cb, Db, Eb, Fb, Gb, Ab, Bb Cb :wink:

Good idea, though, about playing the A# on 1,2,3 :lol:

17. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

nice idea !

i'll have a practice on that later on

many thanks :D

FG

18. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

What is all this fingering stuff about ?

Play trombone and you don't have to worry about

19. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

Youce been watching our front row closely again....I thought they all just liked to wave to the basses

20. Hi FG,
    The alternative fingerings are as follows: (from bottom to top:
    E=3
    F#=123
    A#=123
    B=13
    C#= 3 or 123

HTH

21. Di

Di Active Member

Thats what I put to start with, but my "know it all" daughter suggested using the more common accidentals, ie, the Bn rather than Cb and F# instead of Gb and I bowed to her "superior" (ha), knowledge. :( :wink:

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Alternative FIngering
    all
    copy
    lot
    fun