Alpha & Omega

Discussion in 'theMouthPiece.com User Reviews' started by GJG, May 5, 2005.

1. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Anyone received/listened to their copy of the new Steadman-Allen/YBS recording yet?

Thoughts/opinions?

TIA

Gareth

2. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Nice one...it's about time there was a studio recording of "Hymn at Sunrise"..well done YBS

3. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

4. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

No; (has my complimentary copy got lost in the post, I wonder ... ??? ;) ) That's why I posted, get some idea of what other people thought before I shell out my hard-earned readies.

[OK, I admit it, I'm sulking because they didn't include the "Warrior Psalm"; nor have the ISB recorded it yet, despite my repeated lobbying via a certain well-known (on tMP at least) member of their bass section ...]

No, seriously, I can't imagine me holding out for long before I buy it.

G.

5. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

I've tried my best but the next ISB CD looks like including On Ratcliff Highway as the only RSA work.
    You'll just have to wait until the next Chatham Band CD!

6. WorldofBrass.com

There's an excellent review by Philip Wilby in this weeks BB which should reach subscribers tomorrow.

7. cujo_134

cujo_134 Member

Have you recorded it yet??

8. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

No.

9. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

ISB already recorded this on By Love Compelled; I know it was a few years ago (1990) but, with other quality music from RSA still not available (Logos and Daystar are two that come to mind) it seems a strange choice to me. YBS recorded it more recently on Essays - Vol.1 and it's also on the new NYSB CD - Glorifico, due out next week which is possibly the best argument against doing it again. In my collection I also have older recordings by Enfield; Kettering and Melbourne Staff Band.

Let me make it clear, I've nothing against the music, I believe it's great stuff; but I would be interested in hearing the rationale for including it.

10. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Indeed.

In fact, I have vinyl recordings of both "Logos" (CSB/Bearcroft - Date uncertain; mid/late '70's?) and "Daystar" (live from the 1978 International Congress - ISB/NYSB/Melbourne Staff massed bands), although this is not to say that both these works aren't well overdue for up-to-date studio recordings (together with "Warrior Psalm" of course ... ! )

I certainly wouldn't consider another version of "Ratcliff" to be a priority, great piece though it is.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Alpha & Omega
    Steadman-Allen
    YBS
    TIA Gareth
    new Steadman-Allen
  12. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

The Warrior Psalm has only been recorded once to my knowledge, on A Psalm of Praise by Bristol Easton Band. I have Daystar from 1978 as well but somehow don't have the CSB version of Logos anymore; one of life's mysteries.

Another good one is On Active Service, which I believe was written as a tribute to George Marshall. Personally I would also love to hear a definitive recording of Fantasia too. I know it was recently done by Kettering but, from what I've read, there are some tuning issues on that release.

How about a further RS-A CD with the following:

The Warrior Psalm
    On Active Service
    Fantasia
    Daystar
    Logos
    The High Council

YBS or ISB, just let me know when I can place my order :)

Do I have any seconders?

13. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Actually there is another version of "Warrior Psalm" by Coventry City SA (I didn't know about the Bristol Easton one in fact - does anyone know if it's still available?), but, without wanting to be too indelicate, I don't think the recording/performance/interpretation does much for the piece.

"High Council" is also on the CSB "Logos" recording; fantastic piece.

Yes, I'll happily second your suggestion!

G.

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

:frown: ... I'm still disappointed that there isn't a studio recording of 'Seascapes' yet!

15. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

"Daystar" was recorded on CD by the Melbourne Staff Band in the early '90s. I also have it on a CD by Boscombe SA Band from the late '80s, which I suspect is a re-release of an earlier cassette or LP recording.

I have heard about "Logos" but never heard it, and would be most interested in a CD recording.

I am looking forward to getting "Alpha and Omega". Is "The Beacons" on it? A great piece of music.

16. choirmaster

choirmaster Member

I'm sure that Intrada brass from Canada ( cond.- Bram Gregson) also recorded Daystar. It has to be one of my all time favourites, a beautiful piece of writing and sadly overlooked. I don't think it has even been published.:( I think the harmonization of the tune Ascalon, which runs through it was later put to good use by being included in the S.A.'s tune book which arrived a few years later (1983?).

17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Wasn't Logos written for the ISB in the late '60s and recorded by the Canadian Staff Band?

18. WorldofBrass.com

Certainly is.
    Check it out HERE and pick up a copy from the World of Brass trade stand at Blackpool tomorrow.

19. Brian Kelly

I'd forgotten about that recording! Intrada Brass did record it on a tribute CD for Ray Steadman-Allen. If I remember correctly ( I can't be bothered digging it out at this time of night) , it also includes "On Active Service", and some great cornet playing from guest soloist Russell Grey.

20. Brian Kelly

I think it was written for a big SA event - an International Congress perhaps? - in the early '70s. It was first performed by the ISB, and later recorded by the Canadian Staff Band on an LP, conducted by Norman Bearcroft. Apparently it is such a big piece that it took up an entire side of the LP!

21. Brian Kelly

Alas, I can't be at Blackpool tomorrow. I'll just have to get it from the 'net or at a trade stand at the next big event, such as the Bridgewater Hall Brass Arts Festival or at the Open.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Alpha & Omega
    Steadman-Allen
    YBS
    TIA Gareth
    new Steadman-Allen