(Almost) A tricky dilemma...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by WoodenFlugel, Jan 14, 2005.

1. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

For about an hour today at work it looked like I was due to be flown out to the USA after a project I'm working on suddenly went the way of the pear at a critical time. Nice work you might say...but it was to be on Monday for at least 1 1/2 weeks....and my band are playing at Butlins on Saturday. :shock:

When my boss told me that everyone on the project team is effectively on stand-by to go ASAP I was in a real dilemma. Luckily for me it was decided that I'm to support the machine this side of the Atlantic whilst two of my collegues go and get their hands dirty Stateside. I could've turn down the opportunity - with it being short notice - but that would not look so good on me.

So what has this to do with tMP? Well for that hour I was racking my brains...do I go? After all - it is work - and banding is my hobby. I would go however, knowing that all the work that 30 of my friends have done for the last month will, at best be seriously compromised, and at worst, be a total waste of their time. Or do I turn it down - and risk the implications that may have on my career with my present employer...and for that matter compromise the work of 20 or so collegues for the last year and a half in not supporting them in my fullest capacity for the sake of my hobby. :-?

So I find myself here several hours later glad that I didn't have to make that decision, but totally unable to say what I would've said had my boss asked me to go.

So then, to stay or to go....what would you have done in the same situation...

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    project
    notice
    everyone
    band
    dilemma
  3. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Ouch...that's so hard...

So glad I don't have that decision to make in my career at the moment. It's a tough call between work and a hobby that demands so much of your time. After all - it's only a job, as I'm frequently reminded, but then by the same token banding is only a hobby.

I guess work would have to go first but thankfully I'm not likely to be in that position at the moment!

Rach x

4. impycornet

impycornet Member

Will the retainer you get from band pay your mortgage and bills ??

if yes - then tell your boss to shove it & go spend a weekend in skegness

If no - Then you have to explain the situation to the band & go to America. No option really ????

5. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

100% decision that work comes first.

7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I think ultimately work has to take priority - pull any strings you can,and call in any favours owed, but if theres no way out then you have to go along with work's demands.

8. BigMal

BigMal New Member

I agree totally

9. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Depends where in the USA it was

10. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Well it would have to be work .

But my band comes very close behind it:) .In the past i have pulled a few sickies to go and play at The Area Contest :) , but i almost got caught out many years ago when a customer who came into the shop who is connected with a brass band said
    "Hello IAN How did the band do last week at the contest?:oops:
    I said " I was bad with Stomach Bug all weekend "(With that i winked my eye )
    Thinking he would know what i meant
    But he said "HOW did you do at the Area Contest at Nottingham last week did you qualifi for the Nationals?"(A lot louder than the first time):-o
    By then the gaffers ears *****ed up and eyes looked towards me:-?
    I said "I dont know what he is on about."
    The gaffer said "I dont either, you were bad"
    After i had served this customer i followed him out and told him
    "IN FUTURE KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT:x ,its a good job the gaffer does not know i play in a Brass Band"
    But i now have a weeks holiday to avoid any problems but i have since left that place.:-D
    So i am now on holiday for a week so i can play at BUTLINS see you all there:-D

11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

so Ian, is this the moral of your story? ... Be open and honest at all times and don't risk your livelihood for the sake of a hobby.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    project
    notice
    everyone
    band
    dilemma
  13. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the replies folks...I guess if I was forced into a decision by being told or asked formally to go then work would have to take priority, but it was a very tough call. It would have been hard on the members of my band, as they would almost cetrainly have had to withdrawn had I gone.

I was starting to call in a few favours in preparation, when it became clear that my area of the machine wasn't affected and two others were asked to go. Phew!

:lol: Unfortuately, Rob the only retainer I get from Wigston is the one I keep my music in :)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2005
  14. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Skegness vs America....bit of a non starter really

USA USA!