All you knowledgeable people

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by 007ish, Jan 16, 2009.

1. 007ish

007ish Member

I would like to your opinions on the Courtois 167R Euphonium. I have no experience of the brand, its build quality, playability, intonation or tone, do you :confused:
    I am looking to buy a second hand, quality instrument for around a grand. Is this make and model worth looking at?

2. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

You could do worse than contacting Glyn Williams for his opinion. :)

3. Beesa

Beesa Member

If you want, you can have my opinion on people who post threads on forums in such a way that allures everyone to waste a click or two of their life-time . . . but I had best not for reasons of decency.

Why not just mention your predicament in the title? That way you don't peeve people and you also go directly to the knowledge base you so desire.

(Proof - how many views of this thread? And how many replies?)

4. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Excellent point Beesa, I hate these provocative Vague thread titles.

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... you can always hover your cursor over the title and read the first post :rolleyes:

6. steve butler

:oops: Once again Tom puts me in my place.

7. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

You have a point, because this actually is one of our rules:
    (j) Thread titles must not be misleading and must, in all cases, be relevant to subject of the thread

but another rule is

Please do not replies containing:
    (f) Anything not relating to the original subject of the topic

so, back on topic please...

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... not really Steve! After all, I did click to read the other posts. :redface:

On topic now ... to be honest, most euph players I know don't play Courtois. Whether it be tradition or whatever, they stuck to the more obvious manufacturers.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  9. Llamedos

Llamedos Member

I've never played a Courtois Euph but have played a Courtois baritone and Flugel. I personally didn't like either of them but I would say that it is a matter of personal choice. I know somebody whose opinion and expertise I greatly respect, that plays a Courtois cornet and is of the opinion that it is the best thing since sliced bread! Why not try it and see what you think??

10. westoe_horn

westoe_horn Member

I've played a Courtois horn and personally didnt like it. but i know of people who do like them. Once again i think it's down to personal choice. I would make sure you has a good trial period (at least a week) on any instrument before you handed your money over though

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    people
    FONT=Tahoma
    Courtois 167R Euphonium
    make
    instrument
  12. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

If it's any help, I LOVE my Courtois flugel. I have no idea what their euphs are like though, don't think I've known anyone who plays one.

13. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

courtois cornets are generally pretty terrible.

Try the new York.

14. Euphgit

Euphgit Member

Best thing to do is get down to the next big event i.e. RNCM Brass festival or Areas and bring your mouthpiece. The trade stands will have all the major brands of Euph there and they will be more than happy to let you have a blow.

Personally I love the Soveriegn I have, nice round sound, plenty of room for dynamics. But the quality on it is awful, the Plating has rubbed off at various places and the brace for the Lead pipe came loose of its own accord and the Lyre holder came off with ease.

Oh and Beesa, You hold a fiair point, but there is no need to be quite so aggressive in your reply

15. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Bit like Courtois basses. I've heard two sides of the coin. All boils down to people's approach to the instrument and how they get on with it.

16. steve butler

I approach mine with a jaunty nonchalant walk (so it doesn't notice me), then get on it with the aid of a passing baritone player

17. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Yes, Steve:clap:!!