All the areas??

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by geordiecolin, Jan 28, 2004.

How many different areas have you competed in?(including 2004)

1. 1

2. 2

3. 3

0 vote(s)
  4. 4

5. 5

0 vote(s)
  6. 6

0 vote(s)
  7. 7

0 vote(s)
  8. 8

1. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Having recovered some memory-loss from last Saturday night, I have remembered the topic, which at the time seemed a great idea to start. In hindsight it is probably not as amazing first thought (I blame the Sammy Smith's OB)....

Anyway, the topic is this;

This year I will be playing in my 3rd different area contest, having previously competed in the North East (1996 - 2001) and the Midlands (2002 + 2003). This year I will be competing in Yorkshire.

The question is this.....

To your knowledge, has anyone ever competed at all of the area contests?

I don't think many will have, because even the top-players who move around bands never really stray far and probably would rarely feel the need to play for bands in the "lesser" areas. I imagine several players have done North West/Yorkshire/Wales circuit, possibly the Midlands/North East too, but these players would probably not be attracted by bands in, for instance L+SC(?)
  2. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Just to be really awkward, are you only counting the new regions?
    I did South Midlands & East Anglia, then Midlands with the same band when they restructured the regions (roughly 10 years ago?), so its either 2 or 3!!
  3. geordiecolin

Was only going on new regions. I think I would class you as 2 areas. You haven't actually moved bands/areas, it was just an administrative change.
  4. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Just the one so far, but L & SC might be difficult in March next year when I move to the Isle of Arran at the end of this! So if Arran Brass were to compete next year...... (they haven't done for a while, I understand)
  5. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

I've done four of the six English regions. Still have to add Midlands and SW to my card.

But I have both conducted and played in all five sections!

6. daisygemma

daisygemma Member

Can we have an option for none!

This is my first year playing for a contesting band so I have never had the pleasure of playing in the areas. My first time will be for Yorkshire

Repeat after me "I will not be nervous on the morning of Sunday 7th March" :lol:
  7. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

Yorkshire is the BEST-yey!!!!:bounce

yorkshire lass
  8. Dan

Dan Member

Have played in two different Areas L&SC and South West and three different sections. Both are good fun to play in, but I did prefer L&SC when it used to be in Watford. Not a great fan of Stevenage, although I believe that the venue will change next year?????
  9. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Come on then.... who's done 7? Come on, own up! ;-)
  10. geordiecolin

The vote is supposed to include this year.. eg (including 2004).... :wink: :)
  11. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Have to agree! Watford Town Hall was a great venue. Haven't heard about change of venue for next year, any ideas where they are thinking of going to.

I used to like Basildon when it was there. The sound proof back stage area was ideal for warming up.
  12. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

Can anyone explain how Stevanage is deemed to be the centre of London nad Southern Counties? Its almost in the Midlands isn't it ?
  13. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Played in 2- Scottish- ( 1992- 1996) and North West (1997- present). Both are good areas to play in, however I have fond memories of the Motherwell/ Falkirk Scottish, even though I was just a young un........ Do they still alternate the venues each year???
  14. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

15. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

Yes they do--this year its Motherwell :lol:
  16. niknakewok

niknakewok New Member

And next year it might be Dundee! Woohoo - a little bit closer to home! :grnsm
  17. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

I'd go as well but my area always falls on the same weekend now :cry: Always a good drink, the scottish!!! Although given any excuse.......
  18. niknakewok

niknakewok New Member

Thats a bit bloody inconvienient is it not? Tell them to change it - then again, you could move back up here and sign with TR - then you'd never miss it! :D Only an idea .........

19. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

This'll be my 4th Northern Area, and I did Yorkshire in 1996!

Rach x
  20. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm let me think about it!!!
    Good to see you on here doll by the way :D