All That Jazz

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by stevetrom, Sep 28, 2004.

1. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

We were talking about new music at band last night and someone mentioned that they heard a couple of bands play an arrangement of All That Jazz at an entertainment contest a couple of weeks ago (Somewhere in the South-West but not sure where)

Can anyone help as he said it was an excellent arrangement

Thanks

2. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Well, there is an arrangement by Frank Bernaerts. Now his arrangements have attracted some criticism in the past, but this one seems to work OK.

3. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

is there a modulation at the end, before repeating the main theme one more time? :)
    :-?

4. stevetrom

That's exactly the problem - no offence intended to any arrangers out there but often there are more maore than 1 arrangement of the same piece and the quality and style can vary dramatically.

5. stevetrom

now you're asking difficult questions ! :-(

6. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Not as I recall.....

In fact, though they're both good arrangements, I prefer the Bernaerts' Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone to 'the other one' (no disrespect intended, as I said, they're both good) as that is more accessible to lower section bands without losing too much in 'translation'

7. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I was just joking - A lot of the Bernaerts arrangements of pop music seem to follow (more or less) the same scheme...

8. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

We're playing the Bernearts arr of And All That Jazz, and it;s good. It ends a little abruptly, but it's been very well received at recent concerts :)

9. Majoresteve

Majoresteve Member

ive played the Bernearts version with my youth band, audience enjoyed it, and its good fun to play as well. probably one of his better arrangements