All seats filled for areas?

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by whitewitch, Feb 25, 2014.

1. whitewitch

whitewitch Member

I was wondering, how many bands are fielding a complete band, with a full compliment of percussionists for the areas.

With all the discussions about the decline in numbers staying or entering banding, there must be quite a few.

And if there are empty seats, is there a pattern? Either in particular instruments, or in particular regions.

From what I understand, there are a lack of Basses, Troms and Tuned Percussionists. But I might be wrong.
  2. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

I did send an enquiry at Christmas for a Bass Position for the area for the Huddersfield area. I got 2 responses. Unfortunately I was unable to take on a position as after Christmas got told to go to various site meetings.

It amazes me how many bands post on here with a few weeks to go. I would have thought the vast majority of players available cannot comment to a band full time and probably out of practice, so why leave it so late??
  3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Bands that are advertising at late notice will have either been trying to source players for some time or will have been suddenly dropped in it. Either way, they will be advertising as a last desperate throw of the dice rather than as a desired way of doing things.
  4. euph77

euph77 Member

City of Bristol are fielding a full compliment of brass players and three percussionists but only recently had a vacancy (now filled) arise due to health issues preventing one player from committing to the Area. We were looking to fill a different position for some time but managed to sign a competent player last month.
  5. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

We, Dronfield, are fielding a full team and an extra percussionist (4) we were fortunate to fill our two empty seats with a couple of returning players - they previously played solo horn and front row but as the only vacancies we had were baritone and euphonium they very kindly slotted in there. We also had an extra cornet player and she has moved over to percussion for the contest.

We have to think we are very lucky to have a full band and people prepared to move around seats.

All the best to everyone at their relative regional contests, probably see plenty of people out and about.
  6. Mrs Horn

Mrs Horn Member

I'm still looked for a position at Championship level (Lancs or Yorks) but not received any replies yet! I am a champ section horn player!

Tel 07772 840019
  7. Mrs Horn

Mrs Horn Member

Awesome piece btw ;)
  8. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

Well done love ! :clap::clap::clap:

very brave putting your moby number on the T'internet by the way
  9. ekimmort

ekimmort Member

East Riding of Yorkshire Band will be fielding a full band and complete percussion section in the North of England 3rd Section
  10. MrGinjaNinja

MrGinjaNinja New Member

We've got a full band attending the Scottish in the 3rd Section as well.
  11. T Bone Funky

T Bone Funky New Member

My band have a full band sorted now I think, coupled with, I'm told, 5 percussionists coming in! I'll believe that there's 5 when I see them all at rehearsal, but I think we have at least 3 nailed down as certainly playing, but the section 1 test piece needs at least 4 I think.
    Cornets are short in supply for north Wales, but we've managed to get 5 front row players sorted for the competition now, when last week we were looking at going with just the 3.
  12. whitewitch

whitewitch Member

it seems as if there is either

a) all bands in all areas with full seats.

b) people unwilling to say if there are vacancies in their bands, even anonomously. :-?
  13. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

How can you do that without going one short somewhere else?
  14. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

15. BrianT

BrianT Member

The Wantage Band organisation is sending three bands to LS&C this year, competing in Championship, Second and Fourth sections.
  16. bbg

bbg Member

We are fielding a full band, as ever, from the folks who turn up to rehearsals and jobs all year......however our tuned perc player is due on a flight home from Birmingham on the Friday before the bad weather/strikes/delays please!
  17. T Bone Funky

T Bone Funky New Member

Not sure I follow you here :-?
  18. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

National contest rules allow for 25 brass players plus percussion as needed. A normal band line-up is:
    1 x sop
    4 x solo cornet
    1 x rep
    2 x 2nd cornet
    2 x 3rd cornet
    1 x Flug.
    3 x horn
    2 x bari.
    3 x trom.
    2 x euph.
    4 x bass.

total: 25

If you take 5 solo cornets, you have to drop one elsewhere ...
  19. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

Oh no ! I sense a 2nd baritone player about to be off hired ! ;);)
  20. T Bone Funky

T Bone Funky New Member

Ah I'm with you now!
    I haven't a clue I'm afraid. All I know is that we originally only had 3 front row players, we've since drafted one player in, and signed a brand new player. I'm not sure if the drafted guy was only there to fill in a part just for a rehearsal or if he's actually playing with us. But I'm pretty sure the band secretary said on the way home (since I get a lift with him) that we now have 5 front row players. So I'm not sure if that means we've dropped someone somewhere else or not or if he was just mistaken. I'd assume the latter to be honest, as I know for a fact that the rest of the seats are filled and locked in for the contest. Front row was the only place we had empty seats.