All Rise - Wynton Marsalis

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by sudcornet, Oct 1, 2005.

1. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

Any other tMP'ers go to Symphony Hall last night? (Friday)

That guy is just awesome! Not only is he the most versatile trumpet player I have ever heard, he has just written and produced a 2 hour (12 movement) saga of the blues, scored for full orchestra, jazz orchestra and choir.

Some of the effects he has created make you question your ears....themes flowing from top to bottom and sideways throughout the whole ensemble. He seems to have brought Bernstein/Gershwin/himself into the 21st Century.

He uses the fact that most orchestral plyers couldn't swing from a rope to play devil's advocate to the blues.

An enthralling show...the 2 hour All Rise performance followed by a couple of encores......gimme them chops.

All Rise..................All Bow to Wynton methinks!

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... nice summary you've written! :wink: (... glad you enjoyed it)
  3. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Saw him last year at the Bridgewater, he was amazing, I was also impressed with his Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra, especially the drummer, despite how great Wynton was, the ensemble were also incredible.
  4. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

Going to hear him in the Concert Hall Glasgow on Wednesday night and really looking forward to it.:clap:
  5. Chris Thomas

Chris Thomas Member

Saw his last night in St. David's Hall - you're in for a great night!

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

7. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Went to the concert in The Albert Hall last night. Phenomenal stuff.. got to meet Wynton after the gig too..
  8. mandy

mandy New Member

Could not agree more. I saw him and the Jazz orchestra last year, and I was amazed by the drummer, thay guy has some real rhythm! Made my night!
  9. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

What impressed me most was how he could do so little and create such a big effect, he just complimented the music without going over the top. That impresses me more than anything fast or fancy, but he showed he could do all that too.
  10. So am I! Really excited :D:D:D:D x
  11. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I was at the RAH Sunday too. Amazing!! it's the 3rd time I've seen him now. Didn't think there was any chance of meeting him after so went straigt to a bar round the corner (and missed my train home.....oops......had to stay at a friends and pull a sickie. Discracefull behaviour :oops: )
  12. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

Had a fantastic evening last night at Glasgow, the concert was just awesome, infact don't really have the words to express how much I enjoyed it, it was more like and experience rather than anything else.