All England Masters 2016

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Tim skelper, Apr 19, 2016.

1. cornishgiant

cornishgiant New Member

£15 per ticket too. Even for players. Anyone wanna take a guess at how many we'll be playing in front of?

I'll bet 25

2. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Have a look at the website for Symphony Hall, most tickets have already been sold, certainly more than 25!

3. cornishgiant

cornishgiant New Member

But it isn't at symphony hall...

4. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

5. casanova

casanova Member

Very few going on last year. Why they dont give bandsmen a free ticket is just daft.

Worst bit last year was i paid my £15 and found noone on the door to check my ticket. I could have walked straight in for free.

6. cornishgiant

cornishgiant New Member

That's useful to know!

7. Tim skelper

Tim skelper New Member

Think you've mistaken the All England for the British Open!!!

8. JimboFB

JimboFB Active Member

Coinciding with the short lived English Nationals, they've both killed each other off.

I used to enjoy the corn exchange contest in Cambridge, cant say i ever held the same sort of love for the English Nationals. Not sure why either, it just never really caught anyone's imagination. Why was there ever a need for another contest?

Equally, I don't buy the notion of it being close to the Blackpool weekend - its always been around that weekend. I remember a few years ago, 2007 a mere 8 days in between. Won the shield (A night to sing), came 13th at Cambridge (In memoriam RK).

9. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Checking back, I see that Flowers (Polysteel as was) were at that period competing in all three of those contests, which were all close together in the calendar - Grand Shield 19/5/07, Masters 27/5/07, English National 30/6/07 - in 2008 of course GS replaced by Open, but still Masters and English National in early summer in their calendar.
    But 2008 was the most recent year Flowers attended the Masters. Why didn't they attend in 2009? It was still a strong field.

While the proximity of the Spring Festival to the Masters may not have pulled it down, I think it's very likely hampering it pulling itself back up. How many bands are willing to take on a schedule so exhausting that it includes both when a Masters invite doesn't now hold the cachet it once did?

Don't get me wrong - we were delighted to go this year, pleased with our result (8/13), and would love to take up an invite to next year's contest if extended to us again. But I also recognise that the desire of the organisers must be for a contest at which bands at our level don't get a sniff of an invite.

Perhaps one approach might be to move the contest to the spot vacated in the calendar when the English Nationals ceased, at the end of June? That would allow any Spring Festival band ample time to prepare.

Slider1 likes this.
  10. JimboFB

JimboFB Active Member

Hmmmm, i'm not altogether sure at the moment - trying to rack my brains, but looking back through the annuls of time, i seem to remember there was a fairly significant change in personnel around that time as well as (post Philip Harper) a variety of different conductors used for seperate contests. Maybe if we'd had a more settled band and regular conductor it would have been different.

I can only think that for what ever reason the decision was made to not go, and once we were out of the habit of attending, that was that.

Probably a nod to prioritising the Shield in future years was also factored in, although, it was quite a while till we managed to sort that out!

MoominDave likes this.