All England Masters 2016

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Tim skelper, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Tim skelper

Tim skelper New Member

I've been searching, without joy, for information on this contest. I can't even find the list of bands entered for this competition. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    England
    list of bands
    contest
    information
    joy
  3. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

4. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

For sure it's still on. If not, we've been rehearsing the test piece for no reason...

But the line-up info doesn't seem to be available online.

5. ari01

ari01 Active Member

What's everyone's view on the choice of test piece?

I was going to go for a listen but after hearing CV umpteen times at the areas I'm not sure that I can face it...

6. MoominDave

Well, the Masters chose it first. Seems unfair to penalise them for the choice.

7. ari01

ari01 Active Member

I have every sympathy however just because they picked it first doesn't make me want to listen to it another 20 times so soon after the areas (assuming that's the number of bands entered)

8. MoominDave

It's an unfortunate coincidence, right enough. Lot of it about this year - both Bugle and French Open set the same 1st section piece as the Areas. Bugle at least got there first too.

9. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

But at least Cambridge Variations is a great listen. Sorry don't know off hand what's been selected for Bugle / France.

10. MoominDave

Essay 1st section piece for all three of Areas, Bugle, French Open

11. casanova

casanova Member

From a little look around i know that St Austell Town band are going, as are Brass Band Willebroek.

Hammonds are going too.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    England
    list of bands
    contest
    information
    joy
  13. ari01

ari01 Active Member

So we have:

Kidlington
    Hammonds
    Willebroek
    St Austell Band
    GUS (from their website)
    Ratby (from their website)
    Milnrow (from their website)

14. cjwood555

cjwood555 Member

We - Shirley - are going

15. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Medway and Aveley & Newham are both going as far as I know

16. Accidental

Full line up is on 4br and brassbandresults now (I was wrong about Aveley, sorry!)

Huge differences in the line-ups of recent years compared with 20+ years ago in terms of the bands' rankings and gradings.... thoughts?

17. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Why don't the 'bigger' names go anymore?

Has the prize money changed?

Anyone with connections to some of the bands that no longer attend out there who can shed some light on why?

18. MoominDave

Anecdotally, a few unexpectedly-absent bands I've spoken to said that they just didn't want to play the Area piece out again this year - I think that unfortunate coincidence of test-piece has rather hurt the entry (and worth remembering that the Masters chose it first). But there are longer-term patterns than that working, I suspect.

There is still some real quality to be found in that field - GUS, Willebroek, Milnrow, Hammonds - all bands that can challenge anyone on their day. It'll be an honour to compete against them.

19. Accidental

(Also anecdotally), based on bands I know, the test piece has definitely affected a number of bands' decisions to compete in the last few years.
    I think the venue and costs are also a factor, along with the strength of the field which seems to be caught in a bit of a downward spiral

20. casanova

casanova Member

I would hazard a guess that being 2 weeks after the spring festival doesn't help. Out of the two contests, i imagine most bands would see promotion from their respective SF contest as a bigger reward than say a top 4 finish at the masters.

21. MoominDave

Which wasn't a problem in the days when much of the Masters field were Open bands...

Accidental likes this.
  22. simonbassbone

simonbassbone Member

I believe it started with the aim of being a top level contest for English bands and used to attract most the top bands (from memory only Dyke never attended ) with a mooted suggestion of becoming the English qualifier for the Euros. Then it all changed and seems to have lost its way a bit.