All Brass Radio Update for May 2009

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by DocFox, Jun 1, 2009.

1. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Ladies and Gents,

The month of May has been a transition month for the All Brass Radio Station. My old broadcasting company was charging me about 4 times too much. So I have switched companies.

I have two UK companies hosting and broadcasting the radio stream. I license through a company in the US since that is where I live (keeping the station totally legal - important to me). The stream has been moved up from 64K/22khz (the 22 khz was the problem, sounded "radio" like) to 96K/44khz (which is CD quality or better). Needless to say the quality is greatly improved. I have 359 tracks up and playing.

I plan on adding at least 300 more -- but the basic tracks we all love are there. Commercials will be less frequent as the costs are much less. In fact, if you are a company that wants to run an advert on the world known All Brass Radio, please contact me (Jim Fox) at You would be how surprised how low the prices are! I want to keep the sponsors to 5 or less.

Today (Monday) or tomorrow (Tues) I expect to have a custom player up on the site. I paid a programmer to write a player that shows the title of the track, the band playing it, and the CD it came from. In addition it will show the cover AND have a 5 star voting system so you can vote for your favorites, or if you do not like a track, vote that way. Feedback is important. I add new tracks all the time -- and remove less popular ones.

Also with the new server you can with a press of a single button on my website ( ) play the station using iTunes, WinAmp, Real Media, and Windows media or just listen through the player on the page. Better sounds come through iTunes/WinAmp and the player.

My hope for the station is that you will listen, and if you like a CD, buy it. This supports the bands and the retailers. I buy tons of CDs from the UK (I am in the US so I pay about twice as much AND shipping over the pond)

I hope you enjoy the new station. Next month we will again have a top 20 list. Thanks to my two sponsors who really helped this month

Flip Oakes - the maker of the Wild Thing cornets and flugles at and
    Joe Murphy - the maker of stainless steel low brass mouthpieces at

By the way, Flip also makes a great trumpet series and Joe has just started a trumpet mouthpiece line.

Thanks to all,

2. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

3. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Note to all you people who use ShoutCast servers to copy music off internet radio stations. I have my station programmed to find people who try to download music and it kicks them off and AUTOMATICALLY bans them.

I like the station to feature brass bands. But if you like the music, but the CD. It helps the band and banding in general. One of the reasons I went with the server company I did is it will not allow programs to copy music.

You have been warned. You will be kicked off and banned. Like I said, I am hear to SUPPORT bands, not undercut them!

4. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

OK, you must see the new revised site. 600 brass band tracks (and room for more). You can listen and vote for your favorite or not so favorite.

You can rate each track 1 star to 5 stars.

One star = I hate, get rid of it
    Two stars = I do not like it
    Three stars = OK
    Fours stars = Good, I like it
    Five stars = One of the best!

Listen in and vote

All Brass Band Internet Radio

5. SoloCornet

SoloCornet New Member

Dr. Jim,

Great site. I have it on my favorites already!! Good work!

6. Glad to see you back on. Let us know if we can help.
  7. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

I can't figure out how this site works. While the music came through OK the CD/record sleeve doesn't keep up with the music playing so you don't know the title of the piece playing or who is playing it.

In an attempt to find out I started trying anything that would respond and found that the stars illuminated. I guess doing this counts as some kind of vote but that's not what I intended.

I tried contacting Jim Fox on the link at the bottom of the sight and got the message "Could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not properly installed." What does this mean?
  8. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I can't work it either. Shows what's playing when you log on, but doesn't change the title.
  9. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Hmm ... it is a flash player. I have personally tried it in 4 browsers - no problems. I would try the free FireFox browser. IE has all kinds of issues if you are using it. I personally think the new (and free) Safari browser for Mac and Widows is very cool. Released just a few days ago.

If none of that works, click on the little buttons below the player. You will not be able to see the covers or vote, but you can listen with your favorite player and it will tell you the band/song. iTunes, WinAmp, Windows Media Player, Real Player and the last one should work on almost any player.

I have worked hard so everyone can listen. If you PM me or send me an email at I will look into any problem. Tell me your operating system and computer details.

10. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

There is no logging in really. I made it "open" just click and listen! One thing that has worked for no apparent reason is to click the play button pause and bank on (sometimes twice). I think it tells the player to try to connect again.

11. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Oh, and one last thing. Some of the songs have been uploaded with "problems". This stops the player until the next song. 621 songs and related covers keeps me busy. I had to recode the old playlist for 64K/22mhz (the 22mhz is about telephone quality) to 96K/44mhz (very close to CD quality). I used a program that did not do a great job on some of the tracks.

I am now using a different program and it is working great. I am re-converting the problems and uploading fixes. I figure I may get them all in a couple of weeks. I have to be listening to catch it, and I do a lot of computer work but I am not at my computer 24/7. If you run into one of these problems, just wait it out. It usually reconnect automatically. If not - reload the page or press the play/stop button.

12. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Weird about the email. Make sure it is I will check that link too. Every player (and computer) has a buffer. Now this often makes the info in the music player change AHEAD - and not be behind. So in reality, if it is working, it should be slightly ahead.

Now there is a problem like I said with IE. Always. IE does not confirm to international standards. In actuality, no browser except Opera does. They make compromises for websites built for IE (ugh). Send me your info to the address above and I will try my best to help.

13. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Again, I forgot something. Ugh. The stars with "light" up as the mouse goes over them. But it will not register a vote until you click. It is just to show you how many stars you are selecting.

14. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

I talked to my programmer. Flash 10 is the newest (and free) Flash Player. It has buffer options and hardware acceleration options. Although the player will work with Flash 7 and above, it is recommend you download Flash 10 and lots of problems have the potential of going away.