All Brass Band Radio Rankings for Feb 2009

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by DocFox, Mar 1, 2009.

1. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

1. Fodens - 1812 Overture Tchaikovsky - From Russia With Love
    2. YBS Band - Adross Castle - Hymn of the Highlands
    3. Fodens Richardson Band - Overture 'the Cowboys' - John Williams Epic Themes
    4. Sound Inn Brass - Children of Sanchez, Mangione arr. Baer - Strike Up The Band!
    5. The British Army Brass Band - Abu Hassan - Top Brass
    6. Willebroek Brass Band - Mamma Mia - The Movie Sound Track - Roccata
    7. Central Ohio Brass Band - Eagle Squadron - The Sounds of Summer
    8. Cory Band - Abide With Me - This Land of Ours
    9. Brighouse And Rastrick Brass Band - Lincolnshire Poacher - Brass To the Fore
    10. Motor City Brass Band - Semper Fidelis - American Salute

11. HM Royal Marines Fanfare Team - Fanfare for a Dignified Occasion/1st Sea Lord - Eden
    12. Evelyn Glennie and the Black Dyke Band - Cartoon Music - Reflected In Brass
    13. Brass Band Willebroek - The Pacific Raiders - Sparkling Brass
    14. Black Dyke Mills Band - Londonderry Air - Ivory and Brass
    15. Carolina Crown - Shenandoah - Finis
    16. Brass Band Buizingen - Pan - Portrait of August De Boeck
    17. Black Dyke Band - Leichte Kavallerie/Light Cavalry - Fantastic Overtures Vol. 3
    18. Brass Band Willebroek - I Feel Good - Kings Of Brass
    19. Black Dyke Band - The Great Revival - The Great Revival
    20. Masssed Caribbean SA Bands (Live) - Island Dreams - Brass Spectacular

As always I would like to thank my sponsors:

Midland CD for their finical support and providing music at www.ukcd.net

LOUD mouthpieces and their new CD release, LOUDHORNS at www.loudmouthpieces.com

Liemer Technology, the home of lip butter as promoted by butterman, Chop-Sticks embouchure tools, and many other useful musician items at www.liemartech.com

And new this month, the Flip Oakes "Wild Thing" Cornets and Flugelhorns. Want the beautiful sound of the turn of the 20th cornet, but with modern touches? -- check out Flip Oakes Short Cornet at www.flipoakes.com

Supporting the sponsors IS supporting the station.

I have added 5 CDs this month and 4 more are on order. New music all the time to go with the old favorites!

Thanks to all,

Jim

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Black Dyke Mills Band
    Lincolnshire Poacher
    Brass Band Radio Rankings
    From Russia With Love
    Fodens - 1812 Overture
  3. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have noticed (after buying new speakers and a new amp) that some of the "fuzzy sound" was not all coming from my worn out equipment, but was in the stream itself. Ugh.

With a little (well, maybe a lot) of work, I think I have traced it down. The Live365 converter program was not designed to transform music in the AAC (Apple's iTunes) codec to the MP3pro (now outdated, but still used by Live365) codec.

The fix? Well, I simply must convert the AAC imports into MP3 and then upload them. about 65 to 70% are fine. It is the older tracks that I converted from AAC that have the problem. I listen to the station quite a bit to find errors such as this.

I have 30% to correct. Out of the 30%, only about half are noticeable. I will slowly fix them as I hear them come up. I would say by the end of March, I should have all the tracks playing well with little distortion.

It is my goal to present the fantastic brass band music the best way possible.

Jim

4. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Thanks for all the work you put into the All Brass Band Radio Station!!

5. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Kind of you to say Pat. It really is a Labour of Love.

Jim

6. alks

alks Member

might it be helpful to some people if you put a link to your radio station in your posts?

7. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

More than in my signature? I want to be a member of this board and not just use it for advertising. It bothers me when some "interrupts" a thread to promote something. The message must be getting out. Out of 11,000 stations on Live365 I am ranked in the top 250.

That even amazed the people at Live365. They never heard of "brass bands" and I was in the top 300 competing against teeny bobber and rap stations? They were flabbergasted.

There is an estimated 40,000 illegal stations in the world. They are low key and never ranked very high as they want to "stay under the radar" so they do not have to pay royalties. So ranked in the top 300 in the world is not bad.

But I do this because I simply love to do it. Today (tonight for me, that is why I am up) I just happened to get 7 new CDs. It took me hours to check which tracks to put up, and update the website.

I do it for the love of it. Midland CD, Flip Oakes and his Wild Thing Cornets and Flugels, LiemarTech and LipButter & Chop-Sticks, and LOUD mouthpieces and LOUDHORN CDs make it financially possible (the royalties are high). I consider all my sponsors "friends".

No, I appreciate the suggestion, but I think I will stay with having it in my signature.

Thanks (Cheers),

Jim

8. dyl

dyl Active Member

Jim - just another small suggestion if I may, just in case you aren't aware. There is the option in the forum software used by tMP for individual users to be able to turn off automatic viewing of signatures - I'm not sure how many actually use this option (probably not that many in the grand scheme of things) - but I thought it worth pointing out.

Congratulations on your ranking, and keep up the good work.

9. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Hmmm .... interesting. My guess is if they do not want to see signatures, they do not care for anything that looks like "adverts". I want to be above all, a gentlemen and not a pest. But thanks for pointing that out dyl. Always good to know the facts.

I am tired (it is 4:15 AM my time) from putting up 7 new CDs (I miscounted the first time) and having to drop a bunch of tracks with low ratings to make room. But now I can sleep. Luckily for me, I am unemployed at the moment due to my serious illness.

So off to bed for me. I will see all you ladies and gents in the morning (my time)

For anyone with signatures off, you can find the station at www.allbrassradio.com/playlist.php

Jim

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  10. alks

alks Member

Thanks Dyl,
    I have changed the signatures option and can now see the link. This option must be OFF by default because i have never changed it the whole time i've been a member (since 2003).

Jim, I was not aware that the link was available since my signature option has always been off. However I must point out that people without this option enabled may instead try to view your 'homepage' link in your user box to the left of the screen. If you click on this all you are presented with is a blank page with
    'Bridges and Lights is Closed -- Sorry.' So you see to me it seamed that there was no link to your station.

I also think your reply was a slight over reaction. The fact that you post your rankings at all IS promoting your website and advertising it, you cannot say otherwise.

Anyway continued good luck with the station...

alks

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  11. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Thanks for the nice words and analysis alks. As for the over reaction - perhaps a bit. When you work so hard on something and it is the middle of the night and you are still working --- well let's say I did a little chest pounding.

This is the advertising section and a thread I started, so I felt OK about it. But it I might have overdone or done with a little more taste.

Anyhow, the signature thing came out, so I have you to that for that alks.

Sleepy Jim

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Black Dyke Mills Band
    Lincolnshire Poacher
    Brass Band Radio Rankings
    From Russia With Love
    Fodens - 1812 Overture
  13. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

one more remark (before this starts to get too much off-topic ;) )
    you can also visit a member's "home page" by clicking on his user name (above his avatar) and select "Visit X's homepage!" in the dropdown box.

In DocFox's case, this links to http://www.bridgesandlights.com/ a website that doesn't seem to active anymore. You can change your homepage in the User Control Panel: see "Quick Links" > "Edit Your Details" in the menubar at the top of the page

14. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Thanks Jan, I closed the store (BridgesandLights) only last week. It broke my heart. But I have fixed that link to now go to the station.

Thanks for the info.

Jim

15. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Jan,

I know this boarders on being "off topic". I hope not. I apologize for the wording in my posts late last night (early morning London time). You can tell I was tired and probably should have been sleeping and not posting.

I wanted to thank alks for helping me discover that not everyone sees the signature, and to thank Jan for pointing out my incorrect website link.

I will refrain in the future from posting when I am so tired.

Thanks to all,

Jim

16. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

No problem Jim. I hope you had a good night's sleep :)

17. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

This weekend I changed the station from MP3pro (only used by Live365 VIP player) to MP3 64K (used by iTunes, Quicktime, Flash and most modern players). MP3pro's life is about to run out.

If you are not getting a BETTER quality sound, I suggest you go to this page:
    http://www.allbrassradio.com/setup.htm

and setup to listen through iTunes (free for PC and Mac from Apple).

You can always contact me at allbrass@gmail.com if you have any trouble. I will do my best to help.

IF you do not mess with things, you can listen through the Flash widget automatically at
    http://www.allbrassradio.com/playlist.php

Jim

18. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Voting down tracks because ....

... because they do not like the band on a personal level rather than a musical level?

Here is why I ask. I have down votes for a certain band a lot. This is a Championship Level band, and musically excellent. But one or two people consistently vote their tracks down (according the IP addresses).

Is this type of scenario possible? You are at a contest, someone from a band says something disrespectful about you or your band. Would someone then hold such a grudge to vote the band down all the time?

I understand some of the 4th level bands being voted down, and I try to feature some new (therefore up and coming) bands from outside the UK (US, Australia, Japan, Canada, etc.). And occasionally newer bands even from within the UK.

Musically, they are not at a Championship Level -- so that I understand. But all great bands and nothing new, IMO, would be a tad boring. I also seem to like live performances -- even the best band in a live performance can HONK a good one. We are all human, after all.

But constantly voting down a Championship Level band? Sounds a bit like sour grapes to me.

Jim

The New Auto Playing MP3 Flash player and more info about brass band radio:
    http://www.allbrassradio.com/playlist.php