Alcoholic impairment

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Pythagoras, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

In what way do you find that having supped too much affects your playing when practising or (and I'll hold my hand up here sometimes) on times when you've had too much before a rehearsal. I find the thing that alerts me is breath control, ie losing breath far more quickly and things like not being able to spread changes in volume as well, (not a great strength of mine anyway), though sadly probably the biggest drop is in losing ability to assess your own playing well.

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I find that you speed up faster passages (when playing solos) but think it still sounds clear and controlled ... big mistake! :cool:

3. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

Brain, finger, mouth coordination goes completely, its not good at the best of times!:oops:

4. Brassy Lady

Brassy Lady Member

Impairment? Noooooo....I am absolutely fabulous after a little drinkie.....:wink:

5. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Ha har that explains so much - I'll assume you only mean before Dronnie rehearsals.

6. JR

JR Member

...I take it this is a wind up?

John R

7. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Of course!

8. andyp

andyp Active Member

Louder and less accurate!!

(whaddaya mean how do you tell? :oops: )

More seriously, it dries your mouth/lips out (especially lager) which doesn't help, along with the control (or lack of it) issue.

And needing to visit the toilet more often!

9. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

If it was anyone in our band before a rehearsal or a job then they would probably have to play standing up, cos they wouldn't be able to sit down after the hefty kick up the 4r5e they would get from me. :)

10. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

I played at a "Beer Night" some weeks back , where the band were allowed to drink. After a few light ales I sounded like David Childs !!!! At least i thought so!!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    breath control
    losing ability
    Alcoholic impairment
    way
    times
  12. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

I was at the International Brass Band Summer School last month which is run by Alison Childs.
    MD's were Bob and Nick Childs.
    Tutors
    Cornets: Ian Porthouse & Richard Marshall
    Horns: Owen Farr
    Euphs: Dave Childs
    Troms: Brett Baker
    Tuba's: Steve Sykes
    Perc: Alun Horgun

On the last day they did a forum. Ask any question you like, and we will answer them.
    One was "How much can you drink before it affects your playing?"
    Every single Tutor said the same thing.
    If your going to drink before a rehearsal/concert/contest. Don't.

13. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

I'm not justifying it. I was asking an analytical question of in what ways people think it affects you most. It does happen, and denying that it ever does is like saying that obscure atonal test pieces always have full audiences of of non-banders.

I know its wrong to drink before a rehearsal.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  14. ratpit

ratpit Member

At jazz gigs plenty of guys have a pint or two or more

You brass band guys need to lighten up a bit :)

15. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Absolutely! I used to do a regular swing dance club night with a band and it was almost expected that we'd come in have a couple and join in with the pre-club dance class if we felt the need then play till 2 am, sometimes if things were going well we'd even get supplied with beers while we were onstage rather than take breaks. It would've been rude to say no!
    On the occasions when I didn't drink, I can honestly say the band sounded fab then too.
    My brass band used to go out on the lash on new years day round the pubs and clubs and we all thought we were the business until someone videoed us and we watched it back:oops: . I particularly enjoyed our (not very good even when sober) 2nd cornet player getting up, sticking a chair next to the principal cornet and trying to play all the solos (love changes everything was a particular treat, as key signatures were not in his remit). A near punch-up ensued. Nice!

Maybe Jazz bands and brass bands are just different animals and drink doesn't mix so well with Brass bands ( although that shouldn't stop us, at least we can raise awareness).

Bring on Drink Aid!!!! :tup (not to be confused with Water Aid or Lucozade!):-?

16. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

On a Brackley Band trip to germany I lost the ability, not only to play, but also to assemble a trombone - I think my chances of ever being asked to play for any band conducted by Phil Bailey again are very small.

Sorry Phil !

It was a great trip anyway. ;-)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  17. stopher

stopher Member

Have a look at www.bierkellerbrass.co.uk, espcially some of the video clips - think you will agree that drinking and playing DO NOT MIX - yet amazingly we still get booked for gigs and have one very weekend in October!

Think I've only come off stage sober once and that was because I was driving the gear back!

18. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

Its a personal thing. I know players who after a small drink play like idiots, I know players who are fantastic after 4 or 5 pints, I know players who NEED 4 or 5 pints before they play, I know players who can play very well with substances inside them that makes alcohol pale into insignificance, Its all about personal choice and your own judgment, personaly i save playing when under the influence for beer Keller's, scratch band jollys, etc etc......Some people I know could happily go on stage at the open having drunk a few, I couldnt, I find it hard enough sober!!!!!!!! As has been intimated in a previous post, the question isnt can i play with a few inside, the question is am i kidding my self it sounds good. If you cant make that objective analysis, I wouldnt bother drinking.

19. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

I went to college with Alun Horgan.
    Bet he still drinks loads AFTER a rehearsal/concert/contest!

20. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

After a contest in South Australia, The Band were at an after contest affair with another band, Most people had been drinking. There were people running around the room with Tubas under their arms, There was a lack of judgment on how folks were behaving, I was afraid to even open my instrument case and get my instrument out to play it. I sat the evening out outside, I didn't hear of damaged instruments that night but I wasn't going to take the chance with mine.

21. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

That sounds like the fun it's intended to be!
    Let's face it, no one is gonna have a drink before the open!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    breath control
    losing ability
    Alcoholic impairment
    way
    times