Alcohol Issues: what do people feel?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by IJK, Mar 14, 2007.

1. IJK

IJK Member

If a player took alcohol on stage at a contest how would people take that?

2. Well straight from whatever container he took it on the stage with really - on stage, at a contest, I really wouldn't bother about a glass.

3. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Out of order and an insult to the other band members.

4. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hmmm... not so sure about that. OK, it certainly is something to be concerned about but best to ascertain why this happened.

Did their performance suffer? Are they ill? are there deeper rooted issues? I'd say find out these first then judge.

5. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Sorry to disagree, John, but nobody has the right to judge.

If someone has to take alcohol on stage, then they have a serious problem. Either they have an alcohol problem and need help or they have some other problem and need help.

If it was just out of ******-mindedness, then maybe they need to rethink their position in the band.

But other than that it might be a health issue. If you care about your fellows in the band, perhaps the person could be approached by a friend and the problem discussed if possible?

6. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Back at you Mike.... :)

I disagree with you on just your first para here. With regard to a player in a band, somoene (MD, Band Manager, Band Comittee) in fact does have the right to judge if this behaviour is untenable.

(Also - any individual has the right make any judgement they so desire - it's what they do as part of this judgement and how they deal with it is what is important.)

A decision does have to be made as to should this person continue to play with the band on stage.

There may be more serious issues at hand (as I eluded to), or there may be nothing to it at all.

7. Sharpeyman

Sharpeyman New Member

Fascinating discussion this,

I'd be concerned on two counts:
    1 - surely it'll effect the bands performance in a negative way as alcohol impairs performance
    2 - if its a lower section band (and I don't mean to generalise here) then it is no example to set the younger members of the band

As for the other issues, i know that i go to band usually to forget about everything else and get away from it for a couple of hours by playing some music.

Food for thought though...

8. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Are we talking a nip of whiskey to "steady the nerves", or a full hip flask consumed?

Either way I wouldn't do it, but I bet there are probably more people than you think just have a bit of a nip to help them calm down.

9. I think anything more than to steady nerves is out of order. In any case, surely there is no need to take it on stage. A few gulps out of the hip flask from the case before you go on COULD be understandable, as long as it is sure to benefit this or her playing in the contest. I don't think anyone should ever take alcohol on stage. If seem by the audience or adjudicator if it's open adjudication, then it was surely detract their attention from the music.

Probably moving to a seperate issue, if the player concerned has a serious alcohol dependancy, then the band, as a supportive team should approach them and try to get them help!

10. DanB

DanB Member

In terms of alcohol impairing your performance, is there really any difference between having a couple of pints before you go on to the contest stage, and taking a gin and tonic on with you? It would look bad and send out some fairly un-professional messages, but the number of people who go on stage after a few drinks (if they have a really late draw for example) means the argument that it's wrong to take a drink oin stage because it would affect the performance doesn't really stack up for me. I personally wouldn't drink a drop before a contest, but I doubt every bander could say the same. Interesting!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    contests
    water bottle
    Alcohol Issues
    people
    magic
  12. MarkGillatt

MarkGillatt Member

I once played for a band in L&SC region in the 3rd section. We played Music for a Festival, we played it sort of OK so off I went to the bar. What the band had failed to tell me was we were also competing in a higher (local) section later on with the same test piece. I was so drunk by then (almost 5 hours later) that I had to be supported back to the stage. I can't remember playing the 2nd time, I even fell off my drum stool at the end! And 20 minutes later had to go on stage again to collect the prize for best percussion for......
    The second performance.
    I would never have drunk if I had known about the 2nd performance. The player in your post obviously has either uncontrollable nerves or an alcohol dependency issue. I'm sure that with the right help and support this can be overcome. There is after all, plenty of time for refreshments after your performance.

13. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

National finals, perhaps not. Entertainment at a beer festival, mandatory!

14. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Doesn't it maybe depend on what they were doing with the alcohol? Drinking it on stage? Passing it round and sharing it? Sitting with it in their pocket? Squirting it into the audience?

15. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Ha, ha, banding finally goes all rock'n'roll!:biggrin:

16. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Indeed!! :)

Once at an entertainments contest a soloist took a pint on stage to drink as a comedy item during his solo, (you know the bit after a cadenza that keeps on going and the conductor looks at the watch and the band pretend they don't know what's going on......) so I think for people to judge without knowing the full story/ circumstances is a bit harsh really.

17. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Exactly. I can't imagine anyone taking booze on stage at the area, but we did a Christmas gig in the local pub where most of us had a pint under our chair.

18. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

I did a beer festival with your lot once......didn't realise we had another set to do.....and 8 pints later I was the bestest euph player in the land :oops:

19. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

I think generally it's bad form and shouldn't happen, especially as the original question was about contesting.

If there's a specific reason (such as Lauradoll mentioning the entertainment solo - whether that's actually comedy is a different matter entirely) then obviously that's different; and of course the Christmas pub gig or beer festival entertainment is a special circumstance when a pint is practically mandatory!

20. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Not so sure to be honest. I suppose it is a question of public image I suppose. Darts used to suffer from the image of big lads standing at the oche with a pint of Tenants in their hands yet televised darts now would lead us believe that these fellas are athletes that drink mineral water.

Spin it around this way, if you go to watch a band at a contest or a parent of someone who is playing, what image does drinking in stage promote? Not a good one I suspect.

21. gawber

gawber Active Member

I have seen many a player take a 'water bottle' on stage with them. Who knows what they contain?

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    contests
    water bottle
    Alcohol Issues
    people
    magic