Alberta Suite- anyone know it?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by tillie, Jul 4, 2007.

1. tillie

tillie New Member

Does anyone know Alberta Suite by Derek Broadbent? I'm about to order it for Butlins and am interested in anyones views, comments about the piece.
  2. motson

motson New Member

I believe the piece was written for Brighouse & Rastricks trip to Canada last year.

I also understand that it is on their CD recording "Live in Canada" available from the online shop on their website conducted by the Composer himself.
  3. cbridge

cbridge Member

4. vcbjet

vcbjet Member

The piece was also used on the Wessex Band Course in 2005 (of which Derek is Musical Director) and from my memory was quite good fun, if it is the same version that is (it may have been extended for the contest!). The first movement begins with a fanfare that builds into an exciting movement, the second movement is very pretty and typical DB writing, the final movement is a good romp on a popular canadian tune (cant remember which). All in all is quite a fun peice, not sure whether it will test 2nd section bands fully but should be enjoyable.
  5. Gladis

Gladis New Member

I played this piece at the wessex band summer school in 2005 and I thoroughly enjoyed it! There are some really lovely moments in the 2nd movement and the third movement is really fun to get your fingers around it!
    So I'd recommend it!
  6. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Good piece. 3rd movement particulaly is challenging without being horrific, and great fun to play.

Some nice fun rhythmic parts in there for the bass section too.