Alan Ritchie

Discussion in 'Obituaries - Unregistered visitors can post here' started by rutty, Aug 6, 2008.

1. rutty

rutty Active Member

It is with immense sadness that Carlton Brass announce the death of Alan Ritchie. Alan passed away in a tragic boating accident on Wednesday 30th July leaving us all in a state of shock.

Our thoughts are with his parents, Walter and Marie, and his family and friends at this most difficult of times.

Alan was a dedicated, talented bandsman, having played with many bands in the Midlands over the years. He has only been with Carlton Brass for a short time but has a long association with the organisation, having also played with Nottingham City Transport. He’s also been a much-loved member of both the Foss Dyke Band and Thoresby and is well known throughout the country as a great guy and exceptional musician. He will be sadly missed by us all.

The funeral will be on Friday 15th August at 1:15pm at St Michael’s Church, High Street, Waddington. There will be a private family cremation at 2:30. Everyone else should congregate at The Wheatsheaf. Flowers from family only please.

Donations in Alan’s memory can be made to Lincs and Notts Air Ambulance or a charity called Lincolnshire Integrated Voluntary Emergency Service (LIVES).
  2. cherrybassett

cherrybassett Member

Our thoughts are with Walt and Marie and family, what a tragis loss, still cant believe it.

on behalf of Hopkins Blidworth Welfare Band
  3. De Haske Music (UK)

De Haske Music (UK) New Member

Alan was a lovely guy that I met through my visits to see him at Counterpoint Music in Lincoln for De Haske. We always 'put the banding world to rights' on my visits and I am still in shock over the news, I was only talking to him a couple of days before the accident.

My thoughts go out to his family at this difficult time, he will be sorely missed.

Robin Norman
    De Haske Music
    MD: Ipswich and Norwich Co-op Band
  4. euphalogy

euphalogy Member

We are saddened by this tragic loss, and our thoughts are with both his parents at this particulary difficult time. Alan was a gentleman and gentle man, always prepared to go the extra mile to help anybody out ( darent tell him it was proms music tho) We all mourn such a tragic loss, and offer our deepest sympathy.

Alan Needham
    MD Dronfield.
  5. Brian

Brian Member

Absolutely devasted at the news, thinking of Walter and Marie in their tragic loss.
    Brian Draper, and all at Bestwood and members of No3 Area NABBC
  6. grausue

grausue Member

This is a very sad posting. Alan is remembered as a gentleman and a gentle soul. All our thoughts are with Walter, Marie and their family at this time.

Alan is sadly and very much missed at Foss Dyke, but will always be very well remembered.

With condolencies,

From all at Foss Dyke Band
  7. GJacko

GJacko Member

I've just heard this tragic news. I sat next to Alan at Ransomes for two years. Some of the best banding days I've had. He was a great player.

Our thoughts are with Walter, Marie and their family.

Deepest condolencies from the Jacklin family and all at Leicestershire Coop Band.
  8. sooze booze

sooze booze Member

I have known Alan Ritchie and his family for the last 20 years and was deeply saddened by this tragic news. It was Alan who taught me how to play the cornet when I finally discovered the delights of brass bands at the age of 19 - better late than never! I have many fond memories playing in various bands with Alan especially Foss Dyke and having great times at contests,Pontins and our band tour to Germany.

We are trying to contact Malcolm Milner who played cornet with the Dronfield/Stavely Works Band in Chesterfield as him and Alan were good friends and we are not sure if Malc knows. We are sure he would want to know so if anyone knows Malc or where to contact him please post a reply asap.

Alan was a committed and talented bandsman and a patient teacher and will be sadly missed but fondly remembered.

Soozy Evison
    Barton Town Band
  9. euphalogy

euphalogy Member

I have contact with Malcs brother who plays Eb Bass for me at Dronfield, i will make him aware and ask that he makes contact. He wasnt at rehearsal last Sunday when i informed the band. I will make a personal endeavour to find and inform Malcolm.

Alan Needham
    MD Dronfield
  10. euphalogy

euphalogy Member

Re Finding Malc Milner. I have undertaken to speak to his brothers Eric and Ian today to find a contact number and to relay the sad the news to Malc.
  11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Tragic shock

It was an immense shock to hear of the death of Alan Ritchie this morning who will be sorely missed by all who new him. Alan and I started our Brass Banding together with the Newark Town Band in the early 1970's when Walter took over the Band. Even at such a young age he showed his immense talent and potential as a musician and when our paths have crossed from time to time over the years I found our frienship had not diminished in any respect. Our thoughts are with Walter and his family.

Fond memories

Kevin and Helen Kirkham
  12. Neil day

Neil day Guest

So very sad to hear about this tragic death. I sat next to Alan for many years at the Ransome Band, enjoying all the Very Good times we had along with the not so good times we had together as a band.
    Alan was not only a great player but a true bandsman and friend, he also carried the can of being the best man at my wedding of which as usual he carried off quiet magnificently.
    Alan is a guy who will be sorely missed throughout the banding community, not only with his own band but with the many bands that he would sit in on and help out as a dep.
    My heartfelt condolencies go out to all his family.

You will remembered and missed Alan.

Neil Day
    Thoresby Colliery Band.
  13. JamesResurgam

JamesResurgam Member

Rita and I are devastated to hear the terrible news of the tragic accident.
    Both Alan and Walter played in Ransome Band when I conducted them, and will always remember and appreciate their musicianship, bandsmanship, and friendship.
    Our heartfelt sympathy goes out to Walter and Marie at their terrible loss.

Rita and David James