Airy tone.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by skweeky, Apr 19, 2004.

1. skweeky

skweeky Member

Sometimes in the middle of playing, my tone goes slightly airy (air can be heard in it) and i was wondering what causes this and how can it be stopped??
  2. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

i think it's usually caused by the air stream becoming un-focussed... possibly not a strong enough embuchore, possibly just not enough air...
  3. skweeky

skweeky Member

what would strengthen an embouchure then? I have answered myself... Practise... but what type of practise/excersise?
  4. tim

tim Member

As far as strengthening the embouchure you have to strengthen the right muscles however i don't know enough about sop playin to advise you on which muscles.

However I am currently starting to strengthen mine and I am using long tones... 10 or more seconds on thirds scales starting on G second line up for one octave and trying to keep the embochure as fixed as possible.

The way to do it is long tones but you should seek advice from a cornet or sop player so you know which muscles you need to strengthen. I would advise you to try and speak to someone like Petert Roberts, Alan? Wycherly of Kevin Crockford those sorts of people for advice about it.
  5. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Are you absolutely certain that the problem's in your embouchure and not in your instrument? If it always happens on certain notes or valve combinations, perhaps you have a cork loose (I mean on the instument :) ).
  6. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

'Old on....'oos this 'airy Tone bloke?

Sorry couldn't resist it........ :wink:
  7. skweeky

skweeky Member

how do i find out where the problem lies, sometimes it sounds airy but only when i have been sustaining a note for a while, as if my lip has temporarily run out..... :roll:
  8. tim

tim Member

Its probably just stamina and long note practice is the best stuff you can do... might be boring as hell but its got to be done... Sure up your lower register and then gradually work higher... Will help you learn scales at the same time!
  9. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Being serious for a moment....I reckon it's just a stamina problem. Do you find this happens after a long period of sustained playing? Does your tone return after you've had a few seconds / minutes break?

So then, lots of boring loooooonnnnng note practice etc etc... (I'm sure you know what I mean)
  10. Trigger

Trigger Member

Lip flexibility exercises are good for strengthening your lip. Try doing slurs page 40, 42 and 43 in the Arban. They start off with just slow lip slurs and then they work up to semi-quaver lip slurs etc and the jumps get bigger. If you can control the lip slurs and keep a constant flow of air (obviously you have to breathe), but pushing from your diaphragm, then this will help to strengthen your lip and improve your breathing. Don't know if this will solve your problem, but I used to get that (still do sometimes), and these exercises have really helped improve my lip and my tone. Still working on it mind, but it's a vast improvement.
  11. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

The Stamina exercises in the back of the one of the Vizutti books are definitely kill or cure. You need to be in serious practise before launching into those, but if your are, they're ideal. Think it's Book 1.
  12. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Could be that as you hold the note longer your lips swell slightly due to excess blood (or excess pressure) and the embrochure closes up. I sometimes get the same problem. One thing to try is long note practice (both lower and upper register) with one hand.
  13. skweeky

skweeky Member

yes thats the problem.. :cry:
  14. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Deleted: I didn't make this post! Sorry!
  15. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

i reckon its the sound of ur brains escaping from ur head... thats what happens when u start making bitchy comments. :lol:
  16. Sellers_Bird

u beat me to it mr darthy. 8)
  17. skweeky

skweeky Member

what bitchy comment??
  18. Sellers_Bird

about spooky...there was no need! less attitude=less brains escaping= no noise SIMPLE AS.
  19. skweeky

skweeky Member

i thought it was totally called for... and seeing as though this is a thread where i am concerned about my playing i thought you would think there was "no need" to post about something i have said in a totally 'off topic' thread in this one..
    I never did have an attitude :shock: i blame TV and my sop