Airways diseases

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by buzina, Jan 20, 2005.

1. buzina

buzina New Member

Hi forum,
    I wonder if there is a correlation between playing a brass or woodwind instrument and the incidence of airways diseases like asthma, chronic rhinosinusitis, chronic cough or the like. Especially interested in statistics about the incidence.
    Walter

2. Bex_Euph

Bex_Euph Member

I had asthma quite badly when I was little but when I started playing it went. The doctor said that it was because i was steadying out my breathing through my playing.

I have heard of quite a few people who have said that playing a brass instrument really helps.

Saying that though Ive got glandular fever at the moment and it isnt going away playing really aggrevates it and makes it harder to shift.

3. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Hi Walter

I can confirm that playing a brass instrument improves my asthmatic condition.

I suffered as a child quite severly until I started playing a brass instrument. Brass was not my original I choice, I wanted to play clarinet, but was advised that that would not help my asthma.

The asthma virtually disappeared, despite smoking, until I stopped playing and then it when dramatically down hill.

After a few years I started playing again and the asthma although not completely disappeared is under control and causes me little or no problem.

The doctors confirmed that playing would help. This is also borne out by the fact my sister and my wife, both had similar patterns as to when they were or were not playing.

PS: One aside, when I gave up smoking my asthma deteriorated for a short while!!

4. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

However, you can also cause problems with infectious disease if you're not careful - see this thread: http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=11364

I know of several military brass players here in Washington who had asthma or similar conditions who say that playing improved their condition.

I also knew a tuba player once who had a severe stutter which was controlled (though not cured) after he learned to play. If he took some time off the stutter would get worse.

5. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I think there is plenty of evidence out there that playing helps non-infectious respiratory problems by helping people to control their breathing.

Infections, however, can sometimes be prolonged by repeated infection if you don't keep your instrument clean, or if you let someone else use it. An unclean instrument can harbour all sorts of unpleasant things. :shock:

When I got my first instrument when I went into the army I cleaned it out in the bath and found, amongst other things:

Half a rotted pork pie,
    A small amount of loose change,
    Several handsfull of gravel,
    A lyre
    A dart
    and a small unidentifiable length of wire.

There was also what appeared to be bits of a piece of music, which had rotted away.

:shock:

6. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

yuk thats minging!what did they put a pork pir in it for!And wuldnt they notice if it was crammed full of lyres and suchlike!!
    :-? :D :shock:

7. skweeky

skweeky Member

you can imagine it now lol opposing bands at whit friday lobbing pies and beer (no not beer actually - what a waste!) just pies into the basses as a sort of mini game.
    10 points for a bass,
    20 points for a euph,
    30 points for a baritone,
    40 points for a horn,
    200 points for a sop.
    First to 300 wins!

8. HBB

HBB Active Member

Why 200 for a sop? That's blatant cheating!!

9. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

whys it cheating sops would be impossible to get a pie into be easier wiyth beer..

10. HBB

HBB Active Member

I thought you had to chuck it into a Bass?

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Walter
    incidence of airways diseases
    chronic rhinosinusitis
    asthma
    chronic cough
  12. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

well if you only chucked them into basses everyone else would feel left out or the bassaes would feel picked on

13. HBB

HBB Active Member

Basses are always picked on. They're used to it!

14. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

After being told for over a year that I had Bronchitis, my doctors finally decided that I had asthma. I was only 7 at the time, and I remember the relief I felt when I was first given an inhaler! My lungs actually worked!!! 6 months later, my school was looking for new students to play the cornet..... 16 years later and I'm the only one out of the 20 kids that started that is still playing. I reckon it's done me the world of good for my asthma, playing the trumpet/cornet. OK so I have times when I've been in a dusty environment (or near cats.....evil!! kill them alll!!!) when I've had problems, but when I was as college, in my 'A' level physics group, as an experiment, we made aparatus to test lung capacity and pressure. I was top of the year at both, Which isn't bad as we had people there that were county athletes in my class! (I'm about as athletic as a sloth with a hangover) I do have bad days, but find a blow on my cornet or trumpet does me as much good as a pump on the inhaler. My Mum was diagnosed with asthma at about the same age that I was. She had several overnight stays in hospital because of athma attacks, I've had 2 asthma attacks in 17 years, 1 before I was diagnosed and one because I got a lungfull of dust while I was moving a really old matress. I'm pretty sure, that if I didn't play an instrument, my Asthma would be a damn site worse

15. YBS Caz

YBS Caz New Member

I have got asthma, my breathing hasn't changed despite playing the cornet for 12 years.

When i had glandular fever last year, i had to stop playing for 4 months. I had reactions to the medication (thanks NHS). and my playing took a while to get back to normal, because it had set my asthma off everytime i played.

I'm even suffering at the moment thanks to the damm Flu!! I can't shift it at all. Had it since mid November. I have tried herbal remedies, but due to my allergies i am limited to alternative products!!!!!
    any help will be gladly accepted as its messing my breathing up, and with the areas coming up soon i want to be my best!!

ta

16. SuperHorn

SuperHorn Member

A trombone player in our band; (Dai Trombone to his mates) had Chronic Bronchitis and emphysema. He asked his GP if he should give up playing.

GP replied: It will probably keep you alive longer, he still comes to some rehearsals, just to sit in, he's 72 now.