Airflow direction

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Jimmy_2121, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Jimmy_2121

Jimmy_2121 Member

When buzzing last night, no mouthpiece, I noticed that the direction of my air was almost straight down. I had never thought about it before, but we always talk about the air column moving forward through the instrument and it seems strange for my air to naturally flow almost vertically downwards.

I have not had problems with tone or production, but wondered whether there is a more efficient direction for the airflow.

I have quite an unconventional embouchure shape with most of the mouthpiece over the bottom lip, but with the top lip slightly infront of the bottom. Which I think forces the air downwards.

Do people think about the direction of their airflow or is it simply a product of the embouchure position?

How does it affect different aspects of playing, production, tone, dynamic contrast and intonation?
  2. please pass me the rope ....aghhhhhhh..........................................................
  3. Jimmy_2121

Jimmy_2121 Member

If you don't have anything to add on the thread subject, then why post?

I find your post unhelpful and demeaning, if you don't find a subject interesting or really couldn't give flying fish about it then butt right out!

I was genuinely interested in this as I had never thought about it before, maybe I'm missing a point somewhere, if someone would kindly point it out then I would at least be better informed.
  4. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

From what I have gathered over the years, the natural direction of your airflow doesn't have a direct correlation with any aspect of your playing ability, it is just how you are built.
    There does seem to be a slight possibility that trumpeters who have an extreme downwards (often referred to as downstream) airflow tend to have a higher range (Maynard Ferguson is a prime example of this), but there are also those have forward or upstream airflows who also play into the stratosphere, so it is by no means a set rule that one will lead to the other.

Purely personally, I don't think about it - I just play, lol. If I think too much about what is happening in my embouchure I tend to find myself suffering from paralysis through analysis.

If it works, it works.

Just in case you are interested - I play with a severe downstream ambouchure - I can produce a good tone (or so others have said), I have a good enough range for anything I have come across yet, it is just part of my embouchure set-up - one aspect of my playing that contributes to the final outcome.