Air varies for Eb instrument?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by bradders0123, Oct 9, 2010.

1. bradders0123

bradders0123 New Member

All of the good air varies such as rule Britannia and Wiederkehr have all of the band parts written to go along with a Bb instrument, which is annoying for a horn player like me. The only air varie I have seen written for an Eb instrument is Grandfather's Clock on this link but there doesn't seem to be any. Is there any good air varies that have the band accompanying an Eb instrument, because I would like to do one for my next band concert.
  2. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Piper o' Dundee
    Variations on a Welsh Theme
    Capriccio Brilliante
    Silver Threads
    Variations sur un Theme Favori (from the Arban)
    O Lovely Night
    Twinkle Twinkle Little Star (not sure if its published though)

Does it have to be an air varie?
  3. David Mann

David Mann Member

The Old Rustic Bridge, SA Festival Series no. 251. One variation in quintuplets if I remember correctly.
  4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

There's also Iona & Jenny Jones.
  5. bradders0123

bradders0123 New Member

Are most of them on the Sheona White album?
    And yeah, I like air varies
  6. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Carousel - but can't remember who it is by. May be Roy Newsome???
  7. bradders0123

bradders0123 New Member

I've done those before, they're too easy, I'm looking for a challenging peice to play at a band concert similar to something from the back of the Arban or in the Soloist's Companion books
  8. bradders0123

bradders0123 New Member

Never heard of carousel before
  9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

If Jenny Jones is too easy for you, then you should go for Bellstedt's Cappriccio Brilliante arranged by Sandy Smith.
  10. Shell

Shell Member

It is indeed Roy Newsome and probably not the challenge you are looking for.

I'd agree that Cappriccio Brilliante is the best bet so far, great piece and technically challenging in parts.
  11. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Hmm - too easy, eh? Jenny Jones is not an easy solo.. I just hope that, whatever piece you finally decide meets your expectations, has parts that the band can play, as you are only part of the equation in a performance... ;)
  12. bradders0123

bradders0123 New Member

I think Capriccio Brillante seems to be the favourite, I'll probably go for that. And I don't know if the band would be able to play it, it's only a community band, we have 3 cornets at the best of times :eek:
  13. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

There's two differnet Jenny Jones - one much easier than the other!

If you want a challenge, I'd go for Capriccio, Piper or Welsh Theme.

And no, they're not all on 'the' Sheona White album. Some of them are on other YBS CDs, you also need to look at soloists like Owen Farr, Sandy Smith etc.
  14. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Sorry...... but if those are too easy why are you sat at Penston and Fisherrow???? :eek:
  15. bradders0123

bradders0123 New Member

They need me and I enjoy doing community events like the feastivals and marches. I used to play with St. David's, but I didn't enjoy playing 2nd horn on third section music, it gets quite boring.
  16. bradders0123

bradders0123 New Member

I've got Variations on a Welsh Theme, done a solo contest with it a few years ago. I've thought about getting the other 2, they sounds quite fun. I'll do a search on youtube for Owen Farr and Sandy Smith, I haven't heard of them before. ;)
  17. delboy822

delboy822 Member

Ouch :p you should see the 2nd horn part for the 3rd Section at the Scottish this year... Definitely not boring...
  18. MickM

MickM Member

This made me LOL!
  19. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Concerto for Horn in E Flat. Bellini arranged by Roy Newsome, could be the sort of challenge you are after.
  20. delboy822

delboy822 Member

When I moved from cornet to horn just before the summer I had a look for horn solo's to give me something to practice before band started back and found a ton of solo's on justmusic (many of which have been discussed above) where you can download the solo horn part as a pdf. (You have to look under "More Details" to see if it's there)

Could be a good idea to have a look there before you go out and buy a whole band set of music.