Air 'N Variations - New CD

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by John Brooks, Feb 8, 2005.

1. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Just found this information on the New York Staff Band website. No doubt coming to a World of Brass near you very soon :)

AIR ‘N VARIATIONS— Aaron VanderWeele and New York Staff Band

Program:

1. There Will be God (Richard Phillips)

2. We'll All Shout Hallelujah! (Norman Audoire)

3. The Great Adventure (Norman Bearcroft)

4. Commitment (Lloyd Scott, arranged Stephen Bulla)

5. Ochills (Robert Redhead)

6. Larghetto Semplice from ‘Call of the Seasons' (Philip Catelinet)

7. Song of the Brother (Erik Leidzen)

8. Hora Staccato (Dinicu-Heifetz, arranged Dorothy Gates)

9. Shadowed (Dorothy Gates)

10. Traveling Along (Chris Mallett)

11. You Raise Me Up (arranged Dorothy Gates)

12. Cornet and Euphonium Duet— Joyous Service (Kevin Norbury)
    with Gordon Ward, cornet

13. Air ‘N Variations (Stephen Bulla)

14. A Joy Untold (Terry Camsey)

2. kiwiposaune

kiwiposaune New Member

Hi John,

Have you heard Aaron play live? I've heard lots of good things about him and I met him last year in Sydney but I haven't heard him play since he was a teenager in LA. If you have heard him, how does he compare with Rob Miller?

3. John Brooks

Hi there:

They are both exceptional players. Rob and his wife Michelle are personal friends so, besides not being really qualified to compare the two, I'd probably be guilty of some degree of bias.

I do know that Rob plays with Intrada Brass (Bram Gregson) and is rated very highly within that group. He's a featured soloist on their latest CD, The Transatlantic on which he plays Brian Bowen's Euphonium Music - http://www.intradabrass.ca/content/index.htm

I don't have the CD yet but it also features trombone soloist Alastair Kay on Dance Sequence and Londonderry Air.

Hope that's helpful.

4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Aaron is a very accomplished player, and was very impressive when on tour here with the NYSB. I've got a recording he did several years ago with the Preston Citadel Band from Australia, and he had the technique then, but now he's got a much rounder sound to go with it.

5. kiwiposaune

kiwiposaune New Member

and he seems like a really polite guy (especially for a low brass player) - he kept on calling Ron Mr. Prussing

6. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Here it is; http://www.worldofbrass.com/acatalog/24608.html

7. mcbm

mcbm New Member

Tough call between Aaron and Rob. I'd listen to either of them anyday! I think Aaron has the edge in range and flair. But Rob's such an incredibly tidy player! Like I said, tough call...

8. John Brooks

Hi David,

Do you know that Rob is now the bandmaster at Mississauga Temple? I haven't seen him since his appointment, but it appears that things are going quite well.

9. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Our stock has finally turned up, at long last!