Air leaking from the corner of the mouth

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ..JB.., Dec 22, 2008.

1. ..JB..

..JB.. New Member

Should i be concerned that air leaks from time to time from the corner of my mouth when playing?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Air
    corner
    mouth
    air leaks
    time
  3. hicks

hicks Member

I would say yes. Any air leakage from the mouthpiece means less air going through the instrument. In my experience this has happened to me when playing really loud dynamics. I only noticed it when using a practice mute. It's something I would try to eliminate if possible.

4. Moy

Moy Active Member

Yip would worry - try folded pieces of cardboard - folded bits outwards.
    Worked wel for me when I played trumpet/cornet/flugel.
    No cheating and holding cardboard with teeth though.
    Helps strengthen the embouchure.
    Gospel according to DWJ;)

Reading this if you don't understand PM me and I'll give you my good pals email to help.

5. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I had a similar problem until recently, I just bought a bigger mouthpiece

6. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

As with your other recent posts....find yourself a pro teacher!!!

7. I too have experienced something similar to this problem. two years ago i suffered from bells palsey and i coulndt play at all i had to tottaly re-learn how to play a brass instrument, i used to play cornet to about grade 7/8 and then i was on sub grade 1 on euphonium with my cornet position on the front row being filled in one week :( i origionally intended to come back to cornet with a vengence but i have decided to stay on tenor horn now :) unfortunatly i still cant smile and my embroshoure looks terrible and when playing loud and high i have a lot of trouble keeping my lips shut generally once i hit around super e at forte my lip just collapses.

I find the best way is to every now and again play on the affected area just try a scale of c. This helps me im not sure if its applicable to your problem but its an idea. :p

8. GeordieSop

GeordieSop Member

I used to have this problem a few years ago when i kept switching between cornet and soprano.

Eventually i found out that it was becuase of me swapping between an RW3 (for cornet) and a VB 17C (for soprano)

I still have a slight gap when i play but it's closing up every month i don't switch mouthpieces.