Air leaking from the corner of the mouth

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ..JB.., Dec 22, 2008.

1. ..JB..

..JB.. New Member

Should i be concerned that air leaks from time to time from the corner of my mouth when playing?

2. hicks

hicks Member

I would say yes. Any air leakage from the mouthpiece means less air going through the instrument. In my experience this has happened to me when playing really loud dynamics. I only noticed it when using a practice mute. It's something I would try to eliminate if possible.

3. Moy

Moy Active Member

Yip would worry - try folded pieces of cardboard - folded bits outwards.
    Worked wel for me when I played trumpet/cornet/flugel.
    No cheating and holding cardboard with teeth though.
    Helps strengthen the embouchure.
    Gospel according to DWJ;)

Reading this if you don't understand PM me and I'll give you my good pals email to help.

4. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I had a similar problem until recently, I just bought a bigger mouthpiece

5. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

As with your other recent posts....find yourself a pro teacher!!!

6. I too have experienced something similar to this problem. two years ago i suffered from bells palsey and i coulndt play at all i had to tottaly re-learn how to play a brass instrument, i used to play cornet to about grade 7/8 and then i was on sub grade 1 on euphonium with my cornet position on the front row being filled in one week :( i origionally intended to come back to cornet with a vengence but i have decided to stay on tenor horn now :) unfortunatly i still cant smile and my embroshoure looks terrible and when playing loud and high i have a lot of trouble keeping my lips shut generally once i hit around super e at forte my lip just collapses.

I find the best way is to every now and again play on the affected area just try a scale of c. This helps me im not sure if its applicable to your problem but its an idea. :p

7. GeordieSop

GeordieSop Member

I used to have this problem a few years ago when i kept switching between cornet and soprano.

Eventually i found out that it was becuase of me swapping between an RW3 (for cornet) and a VB 17C (for soprano)

I still have a slight gap when i play but it's closing up every month i don't switch mouthpieces.