Agony Aunt for cats required

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Dave Payn, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Our newest feline addition, Maurice (a very stripey male tabby) has being doing some very un-cat like things of late. I've posted on here before about how he will often stand up on his hind legs and look around, rather like a meerkat (and there was me thinking he was just a mere cat...). But on Friday he surpassed himself. He walked up a couple of the stairs in our house and then proceeded to get on his hind legs and literally 'hop' up the rest of them!

Should we send him to Australia where he may well feel more at home with kangaroos or is this perfectly normal?

Yours, worriedly

A cat owner.

2. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Send him to australia!
    Maybe he saw kangaroos on tv an is copying them.

3. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

Film him and send him to YBF.

Money in the bag, Dave!
    Sounds far more amusing than the regurgitated drivel that slips through the net.

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... sounds like a personality disorder to me. Maybe he thinks he is an Arran jumper instead of a puddycat! ;)

5. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

The point about cats is they don't actually know they're cats. They may think they're people, other animals, cushions, or even invisible, but never an actual cat. We used to have a retriever cat which proved a great talking point.
    Enjoy the feline freak.
    BMB
    xx

6. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Sound rather odd if you ask me! I don't know anything about cats, but sounds like your moggy might have something wrong with the nerves in his front legs or maybe its painful for him to stand on his front legs for a long time? I don't know but it might be worth taking him to the V-E-T (don't say the V word!) just to be certain that there is no medical problem!

PS: Is that maurice in you avatar? if so he is really cute!

7. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

Perhaps he is a circus cat like Mr Jingles was a circus mouse, (in the Green Mile).

Send him to Catville, but dont get the electric chair, (or if you do, at least wet the sponge).

Igg

8. Raspberry

Raspberry Member

An old family pet of mine - a dog (I think he thought he was a cat) - we used to reckon that he was brought up around cats as he used to walk around hopping from chair / settee to another chair in a rather feline manner!

Dave - I wouldn't worry about your cat too much, I'm sure he is feline very good living with you and he'll have the purrfect life with you guys. He looks very sweet in the avatar!

9. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Perhaps Maurice, should be called Schrodinger 2, as he probably deosn't know that he is suppose to use all fours for the majority of activities. One of my little blighters regularly stands on her back legs for attention but hasn't taken to hopping around yet. As was previously stated by M&MC it may require some investigation from the man who sticks his arm up Cow's bottoms. It could just be that the nails need clipping and Maurice thinks it's below him to do it himself, instead of having a peticure.

10. cornishscot

cornishscot Member

Cat (agony)antics

Not too much to worry about but like someone else said no harm in mentioning it to the V.E.T. next time you take him in for jabs or whatever just to make sure there's no underlying problem to worry about. Wouldn't make a special trip though just for this if he seems otherwise well and content with life, which I am sure he is living with you and Sam !

Our ginger can stand on his hind legs too and look around like a merecat, doesn't do it that often though.

Something else funny ours does is walk across the mantelpiece, stopping about half-way to admire himself in the big mirror that hangs on the chimney breast and at the opposite end knocks down the little ceramic church ornament there - strangest thing about all this is two-fold:-

(a) we have identical church ornaments as aforementioned at either end of the mantelpiece save that one is red and the other blue - but it is always the RED one he knocks down no matter which end of the mantelpiece it is placed on - we tested this out the other day by swapping them round but he knocked the RED one off and then proceed along to the other end of the mantelpiece as normal and left the blue one in situ!

(b) when you pick him up and try to get him to look in the mirror at himself he will focus on everywhere else in the vicinity except directly at his own reflection in the mirror. Yet he clearly looks and admires himself when up there of his own volition.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Aunt
    legs
    tabby
    feline addition
    cat
  12. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

That way it wont bury poo in your garden...

Hate cats... Except when im in Mossley when they come with hot sauce, nan bread and a bit of salad...