After the John Cage/Mike Batt 'silence' case, comes this gem

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Dave Payn, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Man sues writer of the song.....

"I will survive"...sung by Gloria Gaynor (n.b. Frederick Perren and Dino Fekaris) in the 1970s. He claims that he heard the song in a disco and then went out on the dance floor..dancing,pumping his fists into the air and singing along with the tune. His girlfriend had recently dumped him.---Anyway--he says he was humiliated because all of his friends started calling him (blanked out gay references) etc. right there.
    He is suing for sexual discrimination because the song was written exclusively for women who were dumped by a man.-And that his rights were knowingly violated by the songwriter.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    writer
    song
    n.b.
    singing
    him.
  3. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

And the sad thing is, he'll probably win the case!

Maybe we could sue D:Ream for singing "Things can only get better" when plainly they haven't!

4. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Or Louis Armstrong's estate for him singing 'What a Wonderful World'! (One of my all time faves!)

5. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

And as for Rod Stewart's "Do ya think I'm sexy" I think we could safely sue for injury caused by split sides! :lol:

6. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

With regard to Cage's 4'33" - it was perfectly obvious that the GP bars in Eric Ball's Resurgam were stolen from Cage's piece. A clear case of plagiarism. :(

7. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Resurgam (1950) predates 4'33'' (1952). I prefer to think of Cage's work as 'Variations on a theme of Ball'.

Dave

8. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

Pehaps Eric Ball's estate should consider sueing Cage's. Wouldn't that be wonderfully ironic!!

9. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

or possibly the plural :wink: :!:

10. I once heard a story that an old american woman tried to sue Disneyland because her grandchildren went into a 'staff only' area and saw the actors taking off there mickey mouse, minny mouse etc costumes. She said her grandchildren were traumatised by this.

She didn't win the case

11. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Can I sue busted then?

no reason... I just want some of their money!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    writer
    song
    n.b.
    singing
    him.
  13. HBB

HBB Active Member

Think you're jealous! :D