After 75+ Years Holst is vindicated!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by DublinBass, Aug 25, 2006.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

2. HBB

HBB Active Member

I'll always count Pluto as a planet in my own world.... it was an ace little planet! :)
  3. HBB

HBB Active Member

my very earnest mother just showed us nine.... what?!?!?!??! grrrr
  4. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

my very easy method just speeds up naming....what?!?!?!?! :tongue:
  5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I bet Colin Matthews is glad his "Pluto" has already been performed and recorded ;)
  6. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

nothing, apparently ;)
  7. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

To be correct: Pluto has been demoted to "dwarf planet" status, something between a planetoid and a real planet. At the same time, two planetoids that are actually bigger then Pluto have also become "dwarf planets": Ceres and Xena (officially called UB313 or something like that).

So there is room for two more pieces in the "The Planets" cycle :D
  8. bigcol

bigcol Member

You could imagine it now - "Pluto: the bringer of confusion"
  9. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Typical ****** scientists. Let's take something straightforward and make it confusing. Anyway, shouldn't it be Vertically Challenged Planets rather than Dwarf Planets?
  10. Jan H

but it wasn't straigthforward! Why would Pluto be a planet, if there are other objects that are bigger?
    The whole idea of the congres was to come up with a straightforward definition of "what is a planet". There were two posiibilities: either Pluto would loose it's "planet" status, or a whole bunch of other objects would have to become planets as well.

I'm not sure what the official English term is, I just literraly translated the Dutch term as I read it in the newspaper here...
  11. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Yeah, we call it a dwarf planet too - but referring to people as a dwarf is politically incorrect! (So is singing "Hi-ho, hi-ho" as you walk past them apparently ;))
  12. Jan H

Ah ok, maybe it should be called a "diametrically challenged planet" then :biggrin::rolleyes:
  13. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

I always thought Pluto was a dog:-?
  14. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I'll believe it when I see it with my own eyes
  15. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Who's gonna break the news to Mickey? That's what I wanna know!
  16. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Whatever the merits of Colin Matthews' Pluto movement, it always seemed to me a bit of a cheek to add another movement to Holst's original for such a silly reason. Perhaps the gods think so too!