After 75+ Years Holst is vindicated!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by DublinBass, Aug 25, 2006.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

2. HBB

HBB Active Member

I'll always count Pluto as a planet in my own world.... it was an ace little planet! :)

3. HBB

HBB Active Member

my very earnest mother just showed us nine.... what?!?!?!??! grrrr

4. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

my very easy method just speeds up naming....what?!?!?!?! :tongue:

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I bet Colin Matthews is glad his "Pluto" has already been performed and recorded ;)

6. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

nothing, apparently ;)

7. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

To be correct: Pluto has been demoted to "dwarf planet" status, something between a planetoid and a real planet. At the same time, two planetoids that are actually bigger then Pluto have also become "dwarf planets": Ceres and Xena (officially called UB313 or something like that).

So there is room for two more pieces in the "The Planets" cycle :D

8. bigcol

bigcol Member

You could imagine it now - "Pluto: the bringer of confusion"

9. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Typical ****** scientists. Let's take something straightforward and make it confusing. Anyway, shouldn't it be Vertically Challenged Planets rather than Dwarf Planets?

10. Jan H

but it wasn't straigthforward! Why would Pluto be a planet, if there are other objects that are bigger?
    The whole idea of the congres was to come up with a straightforward definition of "what is a planet". There were two posiibilities: either Pluto would loose it's "planet" status, or a whole bunch of other objects would have to become planets as well.

I'm not sure what the official English term is, I just literraly translated the Dutch term as I read it in the newspaper here...

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    The Planets
    Years Holst
    Pluto
    demotion
    planetoid status
  12. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Yeah, we call it a dwarf planet too - but referring to people as a dwarf is politically incorrect! (So is singing "Hi-ho, hi-ho" as you walk past them apparently ;))

13. Jan H

Ah ok, maybe it should be called a "diametrically challenged planet" then :biggrin::rolleyes:

14. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

I always thought Pluto was a dog:-?

15. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I'll believe it when I see it with my own eyes

16. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Who's gonna break the news to Mickey? That's what I wanna know!

17. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Whatever the merits of Colin Matthews' Pluto movement, it always seemed to me a bit of a cheek to add another movement to Holst's original for such a silly reason. Perhaps the gods think so too!