After 3 and a half months and numerous refusals.....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Dave Payn, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

..... I finally got a job here!

There was, however, a sting in the tail to that too. The local food factory was looking for a planning officer which I was interviewed for, but they offered me a job on the factory floor instead. (At about half the pay of the planning officer....)

OK, not exactly riveting but it's a start, so won't complain. Anyway, it had got to the point where I had wondered whether a 41 year old with 18 years loyalty to the same firm in my previous job, and with experience in Word, Excel spreadsheets etc. had suddenly become unemployable having had rejection after rejection thrown at me since I moved here! (Not only that but my Jobseekers allowance was suspended because I left my job voluntarily. Didn't quite fancy the 900 mile round trip to the PRS each day....).

Yes, I know lots of people have multi rejections when looking for work. I suppose, bearing in mind, I hadn't had to look for work for 18 years, it was more upsetting than I imagined. I'll know better in future!

Still, I knew it would be tough finding work here, so all well and good in the end.

2. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

p.s. I offer the following as a reason, not an excuse. The problems I had with trying to find work had been getting me down big time, and though I've tried not to let it get to me, I did on here a couple of weeks back with my vicious anti-Bush tirade (which was, in the end, deleted). So apologies to anyone that was upset or offended by that.

3. Sam Atherton

Sam Atherton Member

Glad to hear you found something, Dave! The uncertainty of job hunting is never nice, it must be much worse when you've given one thing up before you've found another, if you know what I mean.

4. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

glad to see your sorted at last dude.:tup

having worked on the shope floor of a food factory i wish you the best of luck.

5. rutty

rutty Active Member

Well done - finding work is often harder than you'd imagine, even for a talented bloke like yourself. I'm sure you'll find yourself climbing the ladder quickly there or a better job elsewhere fairly soon ;)

6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Congratulations, Dave - may not be what you really want, but at least it will keep that bank manager in the cupboard ;)

7. cornishscot

cornishscot Member

Is there life on Mars (bars) or even on Arran?

As Cliff Richard would say.

Da da di di da Da da di di da ........................................... Da Da Da Da

CONGRATULATIONS (& celebrations - come pay day no doubt) !!!!!!

As you probably already know Dave ............... I had to leave Ayrshire 17.5 years ago to find a new career opportunity as having applied for 50 jobs there in the space of about 6 months (I was more than qualified and capabale of doing incidentally) I did not even get a single interview whereas in one week down here I applied for I think 5 jobs and was invited for interview for all 5 of them ............ went for two ........ offered both jobs (the one with cheap accommodation attached - Nationwide Building Society ........ was the final winner) and here I am, over 17 years later still drawing in my dough from the soft Southerners that continue to employ me here at (by Ayrshire standards at least) enormous expense.

Ah its right what they say folks ................. can be grim up North !

Hope it all goes well for ya guv !!

Angela Tregaskes
    1st Baritone - Oxted Band & long time acquaintance of D.Payn
    down here in the Saf Landan smoke and ex. pat from Ayrshire

8. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

Congrats Dave!!!

9. dyl

dyl Active Member

Nice one mate. All the best. :tup

10. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

[​IMG] says it all!!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    refusals
    food factory
    spreadsheets
    loyalty
    rejections
  12. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

^^ What they all say :tup Congratulations Dave :)

13. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Congratulations, Dave. :clap:

I recently changed jobs after 15 years at the same company (kind of forced, the company was sold and my group was disbanded). Although I didn't actually miss any pay, that was only because I managed to find enough "important" things to do to have them keep extending my final separation date until I found another job (took about 4 months).

I sometimes wonder if there's a bit a discrimination based on age going on - us middle-aged guys (I'm also 41) seem to have a harder time with this than most (of the 15 people in my group that had to find jobs, the last three to find something were the men between 38 and 44 years of age).

14. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Well done Dave, really pleased for you...it's much easier finding work while you're actually in work...so consider this a mere stepping stone to bigger and better things.

One question tho...I always assumed you were moving to Arran because of your job...so if it wasn't that, why did you move? (This may have been explained somewhere else already, sorry if it has!) (Or did Will the sec just manadge to find you a time share apartment up there!)

15. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Ah, Crawford; I moved to Arran to be with my girlfriend and get away from the horror that London has become. (Whaddya mean 'I bet it was the attraction of the sheep'?? :))

Thank you all very much for your good wishes. Now all I've got to do is get myself sorted out...

Cheers, folks

DP

16. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Good stuff Dave :tup, theres not many jobs going around, specially up in this neck of the woods! Im sure you'll be climbing the promotion ladder in no time. My sister has just come back from going round the world, shes just managing to find some part-time work here & there, so I suppose its not easy!

You shouldve given me a call, you couldve done plenty of private brass lessons over here with our band kids, if you had been stuck.

Oh and Ive plenty of cows needing milked on the farm and theres always other dirty, smelly jobs that I dont want to do.......!!!! ;) :p :D

17. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Cue "Man from la Mancha": "To dream the impossible dream . . ." :oops:

18. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Ooooo - well done Dave. I have one comment though - I moved away from Glasgow and left my job voluntarily because of that a couple of years ago - I was able to claim jobseeker's allowance until I found work, as I had moved so far away that I couldn't stay in my job - didn't that rule apply to you?

This is so true - I have been working in a call centre for the last few weeks and suddenly a man sent me an e-mail offering me an interview for a better job - I went to the interview and I start next week! :wow

19. HBB

HBB Active Member

Well Done Kirsty!! :)

20. Di

Di Active Member

Wow, thats so cool.

Looks like everyones having their moment of success this week. :biggrin:

21. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Well, I suppose I can try.... (first time for everything and all that....)

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    refusals
    food factory
    spreadsheets
    loyalty
    rejections