Advice: Surround sound speakers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Seedhouse, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Hi guys, just a quick quessie as i'm not too good at choosing the best techno stuff.
    I'm looking to buy a four way surround sound speaker set that I could attach to the four corners of my room :rolleyes:
    I've got about £100- £150 budget to spend I think, so didn't know if anyone knew of a good quality set for this price, or if it's worth spending a little bit more money to get a reeeeeeeeeeeeally good set?
    Any advice would be great! :D
    Cheers ;)
  2. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

SONY or JVC i would go for.

I do not know how much they are but the quality is top class for listeng to [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  3. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

In that price range you are unfortunately not going to be looking at high end equipment. However, all is not lost. Creative, JBL and B&W do a lot of good surround equipment directed at the Multimedia market in that price range. Try looking at this page on
  4. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Channel 5's The Gadget Show did a blind review of systems between £300 and £30,000 and at one stage had some difficulty spotting the difference between them.

I think the best value one they recommended was a Denon in the £300 range.
  5. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Try .

I got mine from there for about £120 and a denon amp from ebay. Sound is fantastic.
  6. craigyboy1

craigyboy1 Member

Tannoy Fx5.1 is a great Sub/satellite set up in your price range.

5 sattelite speakers and a subwoofer. They cost a hell of a lot more than they do now when first released.

Excellent value for money now IMHO.
  7. cornetchap

cornetchap Member

Alex, you don't say what they are going to be hooked up to.

Usually with surround sound setups you need 5 speakers, two at the front which usually play the music and front effects, a front centre which usually deals with dialogue and then 2 rear effects speakers. You also often get a sub-woofer for the low end bass sounds. Such set ups are known as 5.1 surround sound speaker packages.

Referring to my latest copy of What Hi-Fi? magazine the cheapest list prices are around £300. However you can get, as others have mentioned here, surround sound speakers aimed at the PC gaming community. Logitech and Creative are pretty good as are Altec Lansing.

The cheapest that Richer Sounds is doing at the moment is a Yamaha setup for £79.95.

Hyperfi are doing the Sony DAV-SA30 for £79.95 and the Tannoy FX5.1 that someone else mentioned at £79.99 (note: these are ex-display models). If you can stretch to it they are also doing the Mission 780 AV package at £199.99, again ex-display.

Cheers, Greg.