Advice please...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by vonny, Sep 19, 2006.

1. vonny

vonny Member

During the past few weeks I have been playing baritone which I have really enjoyed. A part from the intial difficulties with pitch and tuning I'm now a confidence player. I found playing 2nd baritone easy and there was no challenge for me, so I decided to ask the md of the band if he would consider me for the solo euph seat. I was pleased when he said he would give me a go. I'm determined to do my best and do whatever it takes for me to become a good euph player. I have been praticing as much as I can and will continue to and I am getting better and better. I am still struggling a bit with the lower register (think this is due to me being a cornet player initially) I can produce lower register notes but I find it difficult to produce a nice rounded sound. I would be greatful if any euph players/or anyone who knows:biggrin: would give me advice on how to practice producing notes within the lower register.

Thank you

Yvonne x

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    part
    difficulties
    register
    challenge
    cornet player
  3. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

push your jaw out and down the lower it goes.

4. ABERDEEN LOON

ABERDEEN LOON Member

try to get as much air going through the instrument as you can: straight form the gut!

Someone (I think on this forum) said a while ago to imagine that you have a hard boiled egg in your mouth when you play. Certainly helps me if I think that my sound is getting a bit harsh.

Another, more traditional exercise it to do long tone exercises and slow lip slurs.

5. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

The pushing the jaw out a little is what most people do (some call it 'pivoting'). Basically, you're changing the shape of your mouth cavity. It is possible to get low notes without doing this, but they tend to sound a bit harsh and nasal. It might be a good idea to get a consultation lesson with an experienced euphonium teacher who will be able to help with such things.

May I also suggest buying a copy of Euphonium Eurhythmics by Alwyn Green? It's published by Warwick Music and there are a lot of low studies to work on.

Best of luck!

6. jamieow

jamieow Member

When I was starting out playing in brass bands, Ian Brownbill always used to say to me to "think like you're eating hot potatoes, your mouth should be wide open" - that seemed to work for me, and Tom Wyss told me to try get a really open throat.
    Also, don't have too much pressure on the mouthpiece and relax!!
    Would also bring your sound on no end if you practised for a few months with a pillow gently resting on top of your bell - note, don't press it into the instrument or there'll be pressure build up and you won't be able to blow!!!

7. ABERDEEN LOON

ABERDEEN LOON Member

POP!:eek: ;)

8. Eupher6

Eupher6 Member

Lots and lots and lots of long tones. Think of the air column being thick, and not laser-like as it would be for trumpet/trombone.

Relax and let the air do the work. Air is your friend.