Advice please!!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by yorkshirepuddin, Sep 1, 2006.

1. I have found myself in quite a difficult situation, and need some input from people who will know!!!

Basically, without mentioning names or delving in too deep, i'm not happy at my current band, I feel, may be wrongly, that there is a lack of commitment and that I am not being pushed as a player anymore. My current band have not done any contests in the 2 years I have been with the band, at first that didn't bother me, but now I'm looking for something to aim towards and to push myself.
    The band I have been asked to attend (and with reference to the poaching thread, I am not being poached, I sought them out off my own back) are at a similar level to my current band, but have fully attended rehearsals, commited players and are doing contests, which ticks the boxes.

People may now be thinking, thats easy, not even worth posting, but....
    currently the band have lost a few key players with them moving onto better things or going off to university etc... and to be quite honest I'm feeling guilty.
    We have a temporary conductor at the moment, and I feel more commitment to him than i do the band at the moment. I have made some good friends there and i know they wouldn't hold it against me, but even so, I don't want to be responsible for the band falling even further than they are already.

I just don't know what to do or how to handle the situation!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    current band
    contests
    thats
    moment
    commited players
  3. MarkGillatt

MarkGillatt Member

Do both bands rehearse on the same nights? If not, why not register with the contesting band to get the "buzz" of contesting back, and go to the non contesting band for "enjoyment". At the end of the day, you have got to feel challenged and content, you are not responsible for the lack of commitment of other players. Speak to the committee about why the band is not contesting, point out that this may be a reason for players leaving. No one other than you can make the decision, you have to weigh up the pros and cons and come to a decision and stick with it. Good luck tho! :tup

4. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

At your current band, do you have any scope from an organisational point of view? If you don't grab the bull by the horns and help shape the band into something you're looking for then you're probably onto a loser and will find there are other players there that feel like you do and may well also jump ship.

I don't feel that it's worth staying just for the sake of the band, as by staying you may not stop the rot anyway.

5. My current band are offically contesting, but due to reasons like, no conductor, lack of players, they haven't been to 2 out of the past 3 area contests, have pulled out of a few local contests, and won't even consider Pontins.
    I am on the committee, but i get over ruled by the long term members who don't like change and are unwilling to accept new ideas, so it's not through lack of trying, but i won't go into detail about that because there are internal problems with commitee members or lack of and certain people taking the reins.

And on the enjoyment level, I come out of band after 2 hours in a foul mood, which is not my idea of fun, and not what you want from a hobby.
    Plus I'm starting quite a demanding course and feel i'd be doing myself an injustice if i use all my time at various bands and not do my work and fail miserably!

I think there are a number of players who are feeling the same as me at the minute, but don't want to stop playing because no other band would accept other commitments they have.

6. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Maybe you need to organise a band meeting, set down some aims and idea's for the future and re-birth of the band, so everyones one the same song sheet. If you're right and more players feel the same as you (I think some do ;-)) then have a night where you sort it once and for all, then get back to banding and try to leave the politics alone.

Good luck, it's been like that for as long as I remember .. . . . . .

G

7. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Encourage any players that are committed to join you at the new band, it's better to have one band of committed players than 2 bands struggling.

Any players that don't/cant want to be committed to the same level should look for a band that suits their level of committment.

(how many times did I use the 'c' word ?)

8. Jacob Larsen

Jacob Larsen Member

I know that problem from Denmark too... But I have learned some things during the hard way to get my band to the top...

1. Find repertoire a bit easier to get the band the band to work on the "band Basics" such as intonation, sound, dynamics, rhythms, ensembleplaying ect. all the things you need to play the pieces well.. This will increase the spirit with the band and you can after some time feel the band getting more happy about their performance...

2. If the band hasen´t got concerts to play.. You must get some, or you could plan them yourself.. It could be a concert with film music, entertainment music.. A project concert with a theme that the band likes..

3. The bandboard must have a talk about the future of the band.. Maybe they could use an 1 or 1½ hour at a rehersal to discuss with the band what the players want.. And after that you should make a 3-4-5 years plan for the developement of the band.. Important that the players will support this plan..

4. The plan could be for a start 2-3 contests a year, 8 concerts, and a weekend from friday to sunday with playing and socials.. Maybe a concert on sunday..

5. Is the conductors goals the same as the band ?

Just my ideas... Good luck..

9. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Leaving to improve your enjoyment of banding is one thing, I think ST is out fo order encouraging anyone to take all their pals with them which would just destroy their current band! People should make their own decisions on this.

10. Well you know the situation better than most, and can probably appreciate the difficulty in suggesting something different to players who have been there since the dawn of time and like it the way it is (which is the same as 50 years ago).
    Solo euph is now gone, and soon principal cornet is on their way, how can you have a rebirth of a band when the players who are leaving are not being replaced?

I'm starting to dread going to band because i just don't enjoy it when i'm there, unless your conducting of course Garry ;)

11. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

:) thanks hun!!

I dont' know what the answer is, there's an awful lot of bands round you guys and that sure doesn't help. I also know you must feel under a lot of pressure to turn up all the time because the band are relying on you as one of the only regular corner seats.

You might have to accept the inevitable and become a non contesting band, for the sake of getting players in a doing some concerts to build morale back up? but would that be the final nail, as many players may "sign" elsewhere and it'll never turn back around.

I never thought as "L" goes to Uni it's gonna be nearly impossible to rehearse anything, blimey. . . .

Mr Larsen - what an excellent constructive post, bravo :)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    current band
    contests
    thats
    moment
    commited players
  13. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

You have to be happy in what you're doing - full stop. There's really no point turning up week after week if the band really isn't in the mood for change and you're coming away miserable every night. You do this for the enjoyment of it, without that enjoyment it's just wasted time.

If the band really won't accept that changes must happen to get it going again then as far as I see it you look after number one and find the band that will give you what you're looking for.

If it were me, I'd make sure the band knew exactly how I felt and what my intentions were if things didn't pick up, and if nothing changed from there I would have no feelings of guilt at all about finally walking away.

Gaz...are there any bands in a 30 mile radius of our band room that you don't either conduct or play at??? :-? Gee whiz man, you have brass coloured blood.

14. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

I await the day;-)

not many!!

15. 2nd man down

I hope you meant "dread" :-?

As a matter of fact I did just that once. I was approached by Stanley Newmarket Band. I told Stanley that I would give Emley a chance to pick up before I made a decision and I told Emley that if things didn't improve in the next few weeks/months I'd be off.

They improved. A lot.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
  16. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

LOL ;-)

17. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

I was in the same situation as you before I left my old band things had gone down hill after a number of players had left and even the conductor walked out at one point just before a really important concert. The band decided to have the conductor back after a group vote which should have gone against him (but that is another story). But the damage had been done and another couple of players left because of the result of the vote.

Before all this happened the commitment of some of band and the conductor towards contest preparation was lacking somewhat and this resulted in a bad result in a major contest for the band.

In the last 12 to 18 months 13 players have left the band and all for what would seem the same reason but because I told the band and the conductor in a letter my reasons for leaving I have since been ostricised by some of the band and more so the conductor The Truth Hurts

At the end of the day it is your decision and you must do what is best for you as a person and as a player

I hope this makes sense
    If others have left for what seem to be the same reasons that are making you feel unhappy with the band then you should not feel any guilt for the way you feel

Good Luck in what you decide

18. Thanks for the advice, it was very helpful.
    The fact that our current conductor is only helping out on a temporary basis, under the impression that the band continues to advertise for the position. He's now been here nearly a year, and i think he's in the same frame of mind as a lot of the players who are wanting to leave, so i think i would have his support in whatever i decide.
    I'm quite heavily involved in the band training band, and would want to continue doing so, which i have already been told by the training band organisor (who plays in the band) that that would not be a problem and she would hunt me down if i stopped going!! so i'm quite hopeful that if i decide to go, the band would not be bitter.

To be honest the band has been going downhill since before i joined, and don't seem to be able to get on an even keel no matter how hard they try. But i grabbed onto the flugel spot for dear life, because they are so hard to come by!!

19. timbloke

timbloke Member

I think you should follow your heart. I don't think there is a single player in either the old or new band that won't understand your situation, we've all been there at some point. You've worked hard and been commited at your current band and that should be respected and applauded with a pat on the back and a good luck for the future. We (bandspeople) are all in this together and as Gary says, there are a lot of bands around and not a lot of players. These things happen. Bands, players, conductors etc come and go. They improve, they sink. there are very few bands, particularly at 4th section level, who don't have times like this. Onwards and upwards - you're only young, so make the most of it.

And whatever you decide you know that I'll back you up all the way ;)

20. You're a good 'un! :tongue:

21. 2nd man down

Get a room! lmao. :rolleyes:

22. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

TOPIC hehe!!!