advice on which make of mute to buy??

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ema_lou, Nov 3, 2006.

1. ema_lou

ema_lou New Member

I have been issued with the task of buying my daughter a straight mute for her soverign Eb Tenor horn, she has already advised me that some shops will try to sell me a bass trom' mute and say it's the same. I have found a Obrasso straight mute for £37. is this a good make (they claim to be similar to Peter Gane) and a good price?
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Is this from the mute range advertised by Just Brass?
  3. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

The answer to this is simple really. If your daughter is in, or is going to join an ensemle of other horns then buy what they are already using.
    Nearly all mutes produce different sounds. Its no good buying a mute based on sound preference, cost or quality if it sounds entirely different to the rest of your section.
  4. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

I would have thought the band would provide this, for the reason that all the mutes are the same make and will sound the same. If it's for uni, then get together with the other horns and find out what they're all getting.I must say, being a former horn player, I hate horn mutes.
  5. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

Peter Gane mutes are great.
  6. HBB

HBB Active Member

I love playing with mutes... especially Mike McClean cup mutes - they're ace! I write muted horns in most of my pieces now!! :roll:
  7. no2taz

no2taz Member

Tom crown mutes are great clear sound and easy to blow with .